Wild Alaskan Salmon Seafood

Randy Byers, a mentor memory

Ben Long

Some of you grey beards may have known my hunting mentor Randy Byers. Randy was president of Pope & Young and records chairman for Boone & Crockett. But moreover, he was a passionate hunter, down to earth guy, and fun as hell. I wrote memory about him for Bugle I thought I would share here. Thanks for reading it.

BAKPAKR

That was a great story about a great guy. I met Randy when I was in Moscow in the late 80s. His enthusiasm for hunting was contagious. I recall him predicting that the next P&Y Shiras bull would come from a particular Idaho wilderness hunt area. I was inspired, in part by his counsel, to use my recurve on one (definitely not a book bull) in an adjoining hunt area a few years later. He would likely be saddened to know that permits are not even offered in those areas today.

RidgeRoamingRichard

Some of you grey beards may have known my hunting mentor Randy Byers. Randy was president of Pope & Young and records chairman for Boone & Crockett. But moreover, he was a passionate hunter, down to earth guy, and fun as hell. I wrote memory about him for Bugle I thought I would share here. Thanks for reading it.

Beautiful sentiments. Thank you Ben

jejack26

I took a class from him at U Of Idaho, almost didn't pass me,but I killed he'll of bull that year. He scored it, I didn't realize he bowhunted before that. I am not sure would have passed the course,but I think he realized then why I'd been missing class. I was really sad when I heard he passed