MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Ranching for Wildlife

i've heard good experiences and bad experiences. i have some friends whose dads had some good experiences on deer and elk tags they waited their whole damn life to draw.

seems the bad experiences i've read about had a tendency to be up in the northwest and involved cow tags, if i'm remembering right.

i'm not particularly attracted to them. they tend not to have as bad of point creep it seems though.

FireTiger had a good experience on a ~5 point bull tag. I went with her and we had a lot of fun, tons of elk. That was way more important to her than a trophy bull though, so YMMV. That particular ranch no longer exists.

I have 2 friends that repeatedly do it for cow tags and burn those points as soon as they can get RFW tags. They tag out every year but it sounds more like a guided hunt that I think I would like. For example, they were all but told when they could hunt during the day which I found odd.

A few ranches over control the public (RFW) hunters mainly because they have their guides out on hunts on the ranch with paying hunters. The CPW have pretty strigent rules the ranch manager, usually an outfitter, is suppose to follow. Of course, the bad ranches are those that over control the public hunter. I've hunted many ranches, mostly before the point creep started, every year we cow hunted successfully with little interferences from the outfitter. Good and bad ranches...a couple want to guide you and get you on the animal and get you out of the ranch. Although you may be successful it may not be a fulfilling experience. Just meat in the freezer.

FireTiger had a good experience on a ~5 point bull tag. I went with her and we had a lot of fun, tons of elk. That was way more important to her than a trophy bull though, so YMMV. That particular ranch no longer exists.
No long exist?? Several good elk ranches have been renamed the last several years.

Back