Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Ramshot Hunter

WVB4

Ramshot’s handloading guide has some pretty impressive loads for 30-06 so I thought I’d try it out with some 165gr Accubonds.

Anyone have any excessive temperature sensitivity issues with this powder while hunting elk in cold temps? I am loading in Alabama and hope to use them in Colorado this October. Thanks.

With going from hot to cold, it may slow your velocities some. But with the gain in elevation, you may gain some back.
Make sure to find out if there is a range near where your going, and verify you shot placement when you get there.

Just check your zero, as anyone should, when you get to your hunting area.
That will always be the best way to keep it shooting where you need it.
A bumped scope will likely be more to worry about than temp sensitivity.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll have to see if there is a range near where I’m going to recheck zero after my long trip.

I’m most concerned with velocity drop from hot to colder temps which will effect longer range performance. I’m also testing 168gr TTSX which require more velocity to open reliability.

I would prefer shots of 300 yards and under, but the elk and the terrain have the final say on that. With that said, I’m hoping to retain enough velocity for either bullet I choose to perform at least to 400 yards and possibly out to 500.

Any first hand experience of temp swings of Hunter out there? Thanks again for the responses I’ve received so far.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll have to see if there is a range near where I’m going to recheck zero after my long trip.

I’m most concerned with velocity drop from hot to colder temps which will effect longer range performance. I’m also testing 168gr TTSX which require more velocity to open reliability.

I would prefer shots of 300 yards and under, but the elk and the terrain have the final say on that. With that said, I’m hoping to retain enough velocity for either bullet I choose to perform at least to 400 yards and possibly out to 500.

Any first hand experience of temp swings of Hunter out there? Thanks again for the responses I’ve received so far.
Take a cooler to the range. Let a few rounds sit in pickup and get warm and put a few in cooler. Shoot both through chronograph and see what the difference is.

Take a cooler to the range. Let a few rounds sit in pickup and get warm and put a few in cooler. Shoot both through chronograph and see what the difference is.
Thanks for the advice, simple and most likely very realistic results

If you try the cooler truck, please post how well it works. I’ve got some of the hunter and wondering the same question you are.

Temp sensitivity is really only a serious problem for targets over 3-400yrds and even then it will usually only be about 1MOA out.
Unless you zero at sea level ,90-100 degrees, then flip to 6,000 and 30 or colder....
Groups won't usually open up much. Vertical adjustments may be off.
A quick rezero will fix that at your hunt area.
But most people would never know, since they don't shoot more than 200 to 300yrds. on average.

Back