Rain gear

Bambistew

I'm looking at getting some quality rain gear. Probably going to get two sets. One for hunting/hiking and one for moderate hiking and fishing. Say sheep/goat hunting for the hiking kind and fishing or moose hunting for the moderate hiking kind.

What would you perfer and why?

I don't care if its camo, and actually perfer it not to be. I don't like tight fitting stretchy fabric, or 'half' jackets. Jackets and pants.

gearing up for AK? I'd be curious to know what people's opinions are about raingear too.

I've talked to a lot of "hardcore" AK hunters and a lot of them don't take raingear :S

H. H. Impertech

It will cost you. It is durable. May be available in camo this year but not a problem for you.

The folks I have run into in the bush were all wearing it. Many had worn it for several years.

Got mine for hearts day!!!

No question about it H.H.'s.

Recently my wife found me a jacket made by carhardts. Its real similiar to helly's and seems to be as strong.

Rivers West, hands down best there is.......best warrenty and best people in the buisness to work with

I second Rivers West. Ultra light bibs and jacket can't be beat. I think their rain gear comes in several different weights.

If you want a waterproof/breathable option (instead of rubber), I know of no company that makes higher quality hardshells than Westcomb. Top notch materials, mostly eVent construction, crazy attention to detail. It is priced accordingly, however.

Carl

Columbia Omni quad parka and bibs. Great goretex and you can zip the liner in for cold weather. It is made for duck hunters and is expensive but it is also fairly quiet and very durable. It has kept me warm and dry in some cold and nasty weather. Mine finally started leaching water after 16 years.

The consensus from the AK guys seems to be HH. I'd like to check out some of that e Vent stuff though.

I spent most of yesterday in the rain wearing one of the cheaper Frogg Togg suits, and was really impressed with it. For how lightweight it is, it kept me completely dry. Probably not going to be up to AK standards, but for living in the west and needing something lightweight, breathable, and compressible, this stuff definitely works.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back