Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Rabbits in eastern Wy

np307

Making final preps before we make the 1700 mile trek to Wyoming Saturday before antelope opener. The hunt forecast seems to indicate that cottontail numbers have dropped a good bit. Just wondering if the locals would back that up or not. We had hoped to shoot some rabbits for the pot through the week and maybe some to spare. What say ye?

I suppose it depends how far east you're talking about, but I've seen a few in the foothills of the Snowy range. None in the Laramie range though I've spent less time there this year.

Thanks. We're talking almost Nebraska east.

I almost ran over three this morning driving across the plains. I think you'd be able to find some especially near ditches, drainages, etc.

You will want to clean rabbits with gloves. They had an epidemic of liver disease recently and until after the first hard freeze they carry a bunch of diseases and parasites.

They will have fleas before it gets cold like all the other little critters.

I haven’t had a problem filling a limit of rabbits the last few years. I just walk the brush, logs, rocks....they run out a bit and stop...then I shoot them with the 22 wheelgun.

Due to the amount of fleas they will have I think I would pass till late November.

Yeah I've always heard to wait on rabbits till after the first freeze.

Yeah I've always heard to wait on rabbits till after the first freeze.

This is recommended because in the summer and warmer weather, rabbits are generally loaded with parasites and other things like ring worm. Rabbits can also carry other diseases like the plague, just about anything prairie dogs do.

Not sure when the date of the first freeze is 😉, but I hunted Eastern Wy (Buffalo area) Sep 27-Oct 10. In that time we had snow about 4-5 times, 26 degree temps on the antelope and muley opener, with 13 and 16 degree temps on Oct 8th and 9th respectively.

Usually safe to hunt wabbits by opening day, big game rifle season. First hard freeze in Wyoming was last week. In the upper elevations, we are getting snow and even colder temps, so if you are hunting in the high country, rabbits will be safe to eat. I often will shoot one or two and share it with my buddies right there in hunting camp.

With rabbits, watch for signs of TB because rabbits can carry that too. Generally, look for fatty cysts on the liver, abdominal wall and on the ribs. If you see that, burn it in the camp fire as that is highly contagious. G&F advises using gloves when dressing small and wild game now, even rabbits.

Back