Yeti GOBOX Collection

Rabbit rifle

Don Fischer

Been thinking a bunch about hunting rabbit's more again. have a Win mod 62a and old eye's, poor choice. also have a 22 mag with a 4x Weaver k4 scope on it. good choice but wouldn't want to make a body shot. Have a S&W mod 16 in 32 long I load with 95gr cast RN bullet's That I'm thinking would be pretty darn good. But would rather hunt with a rifle. anybody know of a rifle that could be fixed up to shoot 32 longs?

Henry Martini or a small frame rolling block? Contender carbine. All will end up being a bit of money- think id just go with a 10-22 with a basic scope.

As long as they are non expanding you are right, but good luck finding those. You hit a rabbit with a 22 Mag expanding bullet and you will have a explosion.
I've never had trouble with a pointed soft point type bullet but maybe I've been lucky. Rem in stock at Midway right now.

Why don’t they make some 17 solids for people to save hide and meat? Love my Bergara, but haven’t shot rabbits with it. Ground squirrels definitely get mangled.

Attachments

• 49CE6E4A-BA6A-450B-BBE8-A33F611EB69D.jpeg
    49CE6E4A-BA6A-450B-BBE8-A33F611EB69D.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 8
You might be able to find a H&R single shot and have it rebored and rechambered to 32. My choice for bunnies is either my grandfather's old Model 42 410 pump or my Browning T-bolt 22.

I've never had trouble with a pointed soft point type bullet but maybe I've been lucky. Rem in stock at Midway right now.
Unless your cotton tails are tougher than ours it will explode them with any thing other than a solid. Even fox squirrels I head shoot them or it gets ugly.

Why would the perfect rabbit rifle be anything other than a .22 rimfire with subsonic hollowpoints? Shoot'em in the body or the head, and they are dead. No meat loss, and no hearing damage to the shooter. A perfect opportunity for a lever or pump action rifle with whatever sights float your boat.

My brother got me a .17 HMR Savage for christmas a couple years back. Still shoots straight and for the price point I love it.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back