Quick Turnaround European Mounts

I keep a colony of dermestid beetles for my home-state harvests and can't recommend them enough. Sous vide sounds awesome for the guy staying at a hotel, but it's hard to find a plug at the trail head or a WMA parking lot. I live on state borders and hunt two states so my burner, totes of water, propane tank, and hoist stays in my truck all fall. I'm not sure if i'm more of a hunter or a rolling butcher/taxidermist anymore.

I’ve done a half dozen heads with the sous vide now, and am 100% convinced it’s the only way after doing several dozen over a propane burner. There is literally zero picking with the sous vide. When the cook is done, I set the head in a 5 gallon bucket and spray with a garden nozzle and literally everything comes off. Seems too good to be true, but it really is that easy.

One thing I like is changing the water about 3/4 through the cook. I think the clean water and second dose of oxy clean really helps pull all the grease out.

I'm heading to Wyoming in a few days and have two antelope buck tags so I'll be trying this for sure with hopefully two goats. I also have a couple more whitetail buck tags to fill in Saskatchewan and Manitoba so I'm pretty excited to try it out!

I messed up this year's Mule Deer, I was pretty busy that day while I was doing the euro so I ended up boiling the head too high too long and broke the nose bones for the first time (like I said previously, I've done dozens). I literally did what I tell people not to do... I'm looking forward to making slow and low head soup!

Back