MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Questions on chronographs

pa mt man

More ammo won one at a gun bash and I tried it out on some old handloaded hunting ammo yesterday. Shot my daughters 06 and the book said it should be going 2427. It went from 2398 to 2437.
How much does your speed vary and do you take into account a clean barrel or how hot its getting.don

Thanks for the reply Washington Hunter. I'm still new to reloading even though I've had the stuff for four years. (only reloaded once in the last year and a half) I plan on doing a lot more this summer. don

What powder, primer, cases, bullets, etc. were you using? Just curious.

I've been reloading for about 20 years, but this is the first year I've used a chronograph. With 5-shot strings, I am getting spreads in velocities from 17 fps up to 72, with the majority being between 20 and 40, which I think is pretty good. The type of primer does have an affect...I never thought changing the primer would make any difference but it does. It has to do with finding the primer that is most compatible with the particular type of powder, amount of powder, bullet, etc. It sure makes a difference having that chronograph, without it it's mostly just a guessing game, and all you can really go by is the size of your groups, but then that's not all bad either, because really the size of your groups is all that really matters anyway. But I do think the chronograph is a great tool for fine-tuning a load.

As an I.P.S.C. shooting the .38 super @ major Ican tell you that all chronographs are not created equal. Your spread may be caused by shooter error(being too close), erratic lighting(clouds or an A/C power source too close), mixed lots of brass, different lengths of brass( if crimped), or just using a less than optimum chrono ( chrony).
Barrel temp is not a big issue unless you leave a round in the chamber of a very warm gun for a while.

Back