Questions for an outfitter?

lifesupport4u

After doing some scouting last week I reached out to an outfitter in the unit I have a license for. I realized I can't pack an elk out solo from the area I wanted to hunt. Its too far and too steep to pack out on my own. Realistically its a backpack or drop camp hunt, but I need an outfitter to pack out on horseback at a minimum.

So I reached out to a few outfitters. One of them that got back to me was pretty rude. It made me wonder if I am asking the wrong questions...

I simply asked what is included in his drop camps, if he offers pack out service if I were to backpack into the unit (didn't say specifically what part), and if he would provide references. The guy was incredibly rude in his responses. I will loosely quote a few of his responses: "If you don't use our camps I won't help you pack out. You can figure out why" and he said "have references. don't feel like providing them. call the forest service to verify my service."

I didn't ask him any questions about where his camps are or what part of the unit he outfits in. I thought I was being polite and asking reasonable questions.... am I wrong here?

After the responses listed, I told the guy to pound sand and I don't have time for a service that can't even be polite via email. But it left me wondering if my questions were unreasonable? My guess is the guy is just a jerk.

Sounds like a jerk to me. I’ve tried to find outfitters to pack me in and pick me up and I couldn’t find a single one to say yes. I guess if you aren’t a client, you’re just competition.

Sounds like a jerk to me. I’ve tried to find outfitters to pack me in and pick me up and I couldn’t find a single one to say yes. I guess if you aren’t a client, you’re just competition.
This. But there’s nothing sweeter than walking past outfitters and their clients when you have meat and antlers in your pack.

Some outfitters are clowns, forget that guy and call the other ones licensed to operate in the area. Some of the ones who do pack-outs will only do it between taking care of guided clients, so it may take them a couple days to get to you. Do internet searches for reviews from past clients as well, supplied reference lists are often cherry-picked for the best reviews.

Guy is a dick and probably expects to be paid just for the honor of talking to him....lol

Keep looking. I met one last year while I was DIY hunting. Really nice guy. I kept in contact with him and discussed pack in and out service. I’ve got the gear and know where I want to hunt. He was more than willing to do it. My biggest concern was getting an elk out of where I wanted to hunt.

A lot of specifics about guiding were discussed here; outfitter compartments, guiding days per unit etc.

Side note I called the USFS Ranger district for the unit I’m hunting this year and asked for the outfitters assigned to the compartments I’m planning on hunting. Thought being figure out how many outfitters are around and possibly locate so I know which areas to steer clear of... I don’t want to hike in late and the evening and realize in the morning I’m camped 100 yards from a wall tent. Anyway, USFS field office said their office was in total disarray, they couldn’t provide the list but could give me a few outfitters in the area.

The more I dig into the whole guiding business the more I realize DIY is the way to go... there are definitely some great guides and services but there are a ton of dumpster fires.

If you want a pack out, I would look for someone that does only that. I'm not sure if there are any in your area you are wanting.

If you look at it from a business stand point. Like any business you want to keep your overhead as low as possible. I would guess most outfitters don't have extra hands around to do pack outs unless that is part of their business model. I would say they also stand to make a lot more off outfitted hunts then a pack out. So you would not be a priority.

That guy was a jerk, he could have handled your questions way better. I would avoid any outfitter that wouldn't be willing to give references. My guess is he maybe though you were trying to find out where they hunted?

Good luck in your search.

Sounds like the guy doesn’t want to do pack outs for non clients. So what, no big deal. If that’s what you wanted from him and he said that he doesn’t do that, then why would he give references? Quite frankly at that point, references seems like a waste of time for the both of you.

Keep searching for folks that offer what you want. I bet those folks will give you references.

Sounds like the guy doesn’t want to do pack outs for non clients. So what, no big deal. If that’s what you wanted from him and he said that he doesn’t do that, then why would he give references? Quite frankly at that point, references seems like a waste of time for the both of you.

Keep searching for folks that offer what you want. I bet those folks will give you references.

Exactly... though with the caveat that you may find no one provides those specific services.
It is illegal to provide packing services on public land without a license, and that license will confine you to some geographic area.

I was interested in drop camps as well.

This. But there’s nothing sweeter than walking past outfitters and their clients when you have meat and antlers in your pack.
I have a non resident outfitter that heckles me every year while general hunting elk and deer. I email him pics of what I get every year just to piss him off even more. Thinks he owns the place. I’ve killed the biggest muley on 2 occasions and the biggest whitetail once. He drove up on me with the client on the last evening as I was getting him. The client was super cool and congratulated me. The outfitter was so pissed he couldn’t say a word. Plus he had to stay cool in front of the customer. It was hilarious.

I've only ever talked to a handful of outfitters, having never been on a guided hunt. I've tried to line up horse packers before, without much luck.

Many of them are rough around the edges, in the field A LOT and aren't the most savvy with an iphone or email. In Idaho,
it doesn't seem like they are interested in packing out an elk for $500 - $600. Idaho is strict with the outfitter licenses that
are issued, with some big ass areas only having one license. That outfitter is going to focus his time on his $9,500 fully guided Mt. Goat and
trophy elk hunts. I would be weary of a guy that has a ton of time available to be packing out elk for a net profit of $350,
after gas and time. It seems to be that CO and WY (not sure about MT) are more flexible with their issued licenses and
provide more packer options.

But yes, 3 of the 5 I have talked to were roughnecks and dicks. I also have little faith that they would be tech savvy enough to respond
via inreach and be reliable or on time.

If you post your unit #, you will probably get a few recommendations here from members that have used and hunted with the outfitters.

IMO, I'm guessing question number 2 automatically pigeon-holed you into a group he doesn't deal with. I'm sure he gets ask that question all the time, and the people that do so, only want to use his horses to do the heavy work, and want to do the rest themselves. Also guessing he doesn't make much if any money off a pack out if he wants to be competitive. In his mind you may have seemed to just be looking for a packer rather than a drop camp that he's advertising. If so, why bother answering your questions or providing references when you aren't going to be a customer. Jerk? Yep, but maybe he has clients lined up that want the full drop camp. Maybe he doesn't want to run all over the unit packing animals when he has camps to service? Maybe you don't' kill anything, and he had to keep you on the "books" just in case you kill something. Should he drop it all just come running to pack out your animal? Like I said your second question probably just set him off, and from experience he knows its a waste of time/effort on his part for little return.

Either an outfitter focuses on guided clients or does Spot Drops. In one mountain range well known by rock climbers, gear drops and pickups at the head of a lake basin is a normal thing. Usually they will advertise those like this:

Gear Drops
Opening Day until Sept 14th.
Pack Horses are $195/Trip/Day (Maximum of 150 lbs per Horse) & require at least One Wrangler Horse at $185/Trip/Day (4 Horse Maximum per Wrangler). Our Packer/Guide will take your gear to a predetermined destination in the ********** National Forest. Trips over 13 miles may require additional charges. Minimum price for any one-way Gear Drop is $380. All gear must be received before 7:30am on the day of service to maintain reservation.

When I was a summer guide in the NW, I was allowed to pack out elk or gear if I was headed to the trailhead empty and the gear/critter was at the trail and accessible. That outfitter had a structured drop camp network and main camp for outfitted clients.

The guy you talked to was a dick and doesn't deserve the business. He also is tired of tire kickers calling at all hours. Beware of scab packers who don't get a permit too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back