Yeti GOBOX Collection

Question for the computer nerds

jmgraham1986

Question for the smart guys; I can stream a youtube video for an hour and the computer doesn't bat an eye, but every fan starts running and the laptop gets warm when ever I have onx & google earth pulled up. I'm a computer dummy, but it seems to me that it takes way more power to run a streaming video than look at some maps.

Can any of you guys break it down for me?

Not a computer nerd but have messed with Google Earth a bit. Bring up Earth then click, tools, options and try another graphic driver maybe directX instead of OpenGL.
Go to terrain in the same tab and uncheck "high-quality terrain" and see if you can live with the results.
Google Earth is 3D and is always going to use a lot of resources. The tablet I carry with me when scouting has a fairly feeble CPU, sacrificing quality for speed helps me. If I need the detail, checking High-quality terrain only takes a few seconds.
I have no idea what kind of puter you are using, but CPU cooling is always going to help with high resource programs. If you can clean the fan blades and the CPU heat sink this can also be helpful.
You can free up some resources by searching your computer for "Startup" and disabling programs you seldom use. This keeps them from constantly running in the background and using unnecessary resources. Some of those programs are necessary, some not so much. I turned off Office, and a few other apps I seldom use..

Thanks for the explanation Mudder

That makes a lot of sense to me. Its shocking that it takes less resources to watch youtube than looking at mapping programs. If thats the case, my iphone must be running pretty effectively to be able to navigate the software on it so fluidly.

For what it's worth I have a 13'' macbook pro that's 2 years old.

Video will stream ahead plus its a compressed format. Google earth and onx can't stream ahead because they don't k ow what you will do next. Compressed video is also most likely smaller than 3d detail and map info

Kinda the difference between following the directions to build an ikea cabinet or figuring out how to build your own from scratch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back