Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Question for colorado deer

Nick87

So just doing some research on colorado deer units today. Let's say you had 5 points (I dont but just for arguements sake). Would you rather hunt a 5 point unit you can draw for fourth or one you could draw for 2nd season. I know 4th season is better what I'm getting at I guess would you value hunt dates or quality of unit?

Why is 4th season beter? Its shorter. Everything after Nov 1 is a crap shoot IMO. The alure of 4th season may or may not be worth it. The short season, and the "rut" really isn't all that much pronouched.

Good luck in what ever you choose.

Why is 4th season beter? Its shorter. Everything after Nov 1 is a crap shoot IMO. The alure of 4th season may or may not be worth it. The short season, and the "rut" really isn't all that much pronouched.

Good luck in what ever you choose.
I guess I should have worded that differently 4th season is during the rut and usually harder to draw.

Personally, I think 2nd season is going to be a really good time to be in the woods this year for mule deer, but I like hunting pre-rut and have always liked the end of October and early November. Also, I'd rather hunt a 2nd season tag every year than a 4th season tag every 5 years. And, 2nd season is twice as long as 4th.

Not sure but I hope everyone is logging on to CPW to bog down the 2.0 launch right meow.

I hunted 4th season last year and had a blast. That being said, I won’t be saving that many points for another 4th season tag. I’d rather hunt 2nd season two to three times more often.

If there two units you could hunt every three years one was 4th season and one was 2nd season. But the second season unit was known for slightly larger bucks which one would you lean towards.

How much public land? How is access? Elevation? How likely is weather to be a concern? Is the 2nd season unit OTC for elk? What is the quota for total deer and elk tags? These are all factors I take into account, in addition to season dates.

If there two units you could hunt every three years one was 4th season and one was 2nd season. But the second season unit was known for slightly larger bucks which one would you lean towards.
Do they both have the same amount of public, public access and good roads?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back