PEAX Equipment

Question for bear hunters

prhunter

New Mexico has a pretty early bear season which starts mid August in some units.

My question is... how will the summer temperatures affect the length of the hair in the bears coat? I was told by a taxidermist that a bear harvested later in the season would have a better coat.

Never hunted bears before... thank you in advance for your input.

Not sure about your Taxidermist but typically the best hide is the early hide. Typically a bears fur is at its fullest and as pristine as it's gonna get when it comes out of hibernation As the months go on they scratch against trees and have various things that degrade the hide over time. I am surprised that you don't have a spring bear hunt in New Mexico? Aug. is considered fall bear/late bear season.

Best coat will be early spring and late fall. I’ve never taken a bear in Aug... I’d assume it just won’t have as long and heavy of hair, but at the same time it won’t look rubbed like a late June bear.

All the being said there is a ton of variability, I’ve seen bears in April that were super rubbed and bear at the end of May that had perfect hides.

I hunt fall bear at home In Pa and their coat seems to be a bit on the shabby side in summer and then in later september and oct they fill in nice

I hunt fall bear at home In Pa and their coat seems to be a bit on the shabby side in summer and then in later september and oct they fill in nice

Spring Bear Tags are pretty coveted here in Washington for many reasons , 1 being the hides are pristine or as close to it. Yes as the late (Oct.) months come along they do fill in for the winter hibernation. I have seen some pretty nice bruins during Sept. Archery that I would take in a heartbeat if I could get close enough though, regardless of coat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best coat will be early spring and late fall. I’ve never taken a bear in Aug... I’d assume it just won’t have as long and heavy of hair, but at the same time it won’t look rubbed like a late June bear.

All the being said there is a ton of variability, I’ve seen bears in April that were super rubbed and bear at the end of May that had perfect hides.
X-2

Thank you all for the replies. If/when I get out after any NM bears I will post up pics. Thanks again.

+1
AA.jpg

Spring Bear Tags are pretty coveted here in Washington for many reasons , 1 being the hides are pristine or as close to it. Yes as the late (Oct.) months come along they do fill in for the winter hibernation. I have seen some pretty nice bruins during Sept. Archery that I would take in a heartbeat if I could get close enough though, regardless of coat.
Ive been lucky to take 3 in our Pa archery season thats in oct. no monsters yet 200 to 250 lbs laways have some big boys around just havent had the chance yet

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back