Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

QuazyQuinton from western Oregon

QuazyQuinton

Hey folks,

I've been reading for a while and decided it's time to join. I'll introduce myself by saying I live in western Oregon and hunt a variety of places around this fine state. I know our non-resident quotas aren't real attractive to many of you, but I'm happy to help with questions about Oregon if you have any. I read the Tags, Applications, and Drawings page frequently since that is the focus of my interest in hunting forums.

At this stage of my life, my primary focus is sharing my outdoors experiences with other people in my life, especially my wife and three kids. I spend more time playing guide and outfitter than hunting for myself, but those experiences are always rewarding. I don't currently hunt out of state on a regular basis because my kids have enough opportunities here to keep me plenty busy.

I'll also do the full disclosure of myself right up front. My one glaring shortcoming is that I've hunted elk every year since I was old enough to hold a tag, and I've never killed a bull. A handful of cows, yes, but never a bull. Someday it will happen, but it hasn't yet. Now, I do have 18 points for elk here in Oregon, and I'm getting close to one of our Big Three elk units, so that will hopefully be my opportunity to get the monkey off my back in style. Not this year, though. Hoping for a Walla Walla spike tag as a second choice to spend a little time checking the unit over.

I'll also make a splash on my first day by calling out Big Fin right in my introduction. A couple of weeks ago he was talking about the idea of hunting all season with only his 7mm-08. Well, if a 16-year-old girl can hunt with the mighty 7 all the time, surely a big-time TV hunter like yourself could do it for at least a year. This is my daughter with her first bear from a couple weeks ago. We first spotted it from 475 yards across a canyon. That seemed a little far, so we hiked out the ridge where he was feeding. We found him again about 100 yards away. She stepped behind and rested the rifle over my left shoulder. I asked, "Can you see him?" She said, "Yes, hold your breath." POW! And this guy hit the deck. Even better was the two-track road only 200 yards away at the top of the ridge. Oh yes, and the bear sausage. So, Big Fin, if a girl can do it....

1591680642100.png

QQ

Attachments

• 1591679024588.png
    1591679024588.png
    249.2 KB · Views: 6
Welcome from another western Oregonian and cows taste better than bulls anyway.

Welcome to hunt talk! Also from Western Oregon. Nice bear!

With 18 elk points you are close to a fantastic hunt. Best of luck this season!!

Welcome aboard! Your daughter got a great bear. Fellow Oregonian here. If you decide to burn your elk points on Mt. Emily, let me know and I can share my experience there. Good luck!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back