Pyrodex pellets. 2 or 3?

huntin' lunatic

Decided to go with Pyrodex for my t/c pro hunter. Wo'nt have shots over 100yds. I would like to hear pros and cons about usning 2 or 3 .50 gr. pellets.

100gr of powder will be more than enough out to 100yds. However, I'd try both combinations and see which shoots best and go with that.

Same thoughts here. I bought some of Jim Shockey's Gold compressed sticks, on the recommendation of a friend. But my goodness, I have been reading reviews and about 80% are negative. I read 27 Pyrodex reviews and there was one negative. And sounded to me like human error. I would like to hear more.

The deer won't be able to tell the diffrence. I shoot 80-90gr of loose which is about like 100 of pellets.

Inside a 100 yards you're looking 1-3" of drop at most the extra pellet isn't going to make it shoot flatter. They're expensive and you're just wasting powder.

150gr of powder is the 'magnum' syndrom in muzzle loaders.

Look into Blackhorn 209 powder. It burns clean, it's very consistent in size and as far as I can tell after 2 years of use, the stuff is non-corrosive, and not hydroscopic, unlike some other BP subs. Only downside is it's expensive.

It doesn't really come down to pros or cons with grains of pellets(quantity),more,it is finding the combination that is the most consistant and accurate.Depending on what projectile you settle on,the powder quantity will find its comfort zone.I was lucky with my encore and found a sabot with 100 g. of loose (pyrodex) that is consistant.Same with my traditional.The trick is to repeat the loading process the same way EVERY time.Load(apply same ram rod strokes),shoot,wet patch,dry patch, load,shoot etc.Good luck.

some would depend on the mass of the bullet your using as well.

I use 250gr Hornadys with 2 pellets of pyrodex and 100yds is no problem at all. 3 is not even worth messing with.

I used 2 30 gr pellets and 1 50 gr pellet for 110 gr of Pyrodex. It is what shot the most accurately. No problem dropping an elk with a 348 gr I recall correctly) Powerbelt. I'd use a different bullet next time, and would thus have to re-work what load to use.

I shoot 2 50gr. Pyrodex pellets out of my Knight and it is very accurate. I tried shooting 3 pellets and I could not get the gun to group very well with 250 gr. barnes bullet.

Brian

well before i got into black powder i did a ton of research, and i came along an article (i wish i could find it!!) but this persons job was only to test firearms,powders,bullets and loads for i think Savage's personal data sheets, this is when they were testing out the to be new ML 10 that shoots smokeless also!!

blah blah (there was tons of statistical data in his report!!) he went on to say that after testing over 50 different types of muzzle loaders over the years, he said that most of the rifles were more accurate with 100g of powder and 250 g bullet, which if you think about it is what seems to be the norm in most cases!!!!!! but when i read his info it made my mind up about how much to use, and my rifle does 1" groups at a hundred with two 50g 777 pellets and 250g Hornady low drag ML bullets!!

Last edited:
The thing with muzzleloaders is if you use too much powder or pellet, it's just going to blow out the end of the barrel and not burn and not offer any added value to the shot. I noticed with my CVA, using LESS powder was more accurate. I was all gung ho about using the entire 150 grains it could take and it shot all sorts of sporadicly. I went down to 120 grains of Hogden's with a 295 grain Powerbelt bullet and it shoots wonderfully now. Here in Colorado, we have to use granulated powder, no pellets or smokeless, so I never bothered experimenting with pellets...plus we have to use open sights during muzzleloader season, so I try and keep my shots as close to 100 yards as possible

simple: what shoots good in your gun and bullet preferance! i had a .54 i shot 80 grains and could drive tacks with but my .50 i use 150 to get that kind of accuracy. play with the load and find what you gun likes. i will also say i have not been able to duplicate the accuracy of pryodex with any of the "clean" shots avaliable, stick to the pryrodex is my recommendation.

I know a guy who had to shoot an aoudad 3 times using 100 grains of pellets. They all hit ok to good, aoudad are originally from North Africa I think, and they are tough. We still had to help it hurry up and die with a knife.

I don't know what would have happened with 3, any conjectures or data?

be aware that 2 pellets may still be too much powder charge,,,i use open powder 777 and use 80 or 90 grains depending on the bullet,,,ive found too much powder will push too hard causing the grouping to spread out bad.

Look into Blackhorn 209 powder. It burns clean, it's very consistent in size and as far as I can tell after 2 years of use, the stuff is non-corrosive, and not hydroscopic, unlike some other BP subs. Only downside is it's expensive.

+1 This stuff is the best.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back