Yeti GOBOX Collection

Puppy Age

All my research says 8 weeks. We got one at 7 weeks and she was fine. The last one we got at 6.5 and we had some socialization issues that a few trainers have said could be due to getting him to early.

Check your state regs. Most say 8 weeks. Got mine at 7 weeks and she got really sick after 1 day at home. Can't prove the age had anything to do with it, but I wish I had waited another week.

I'll second the state regs. Many states say they can't leave the mother until 8 weeks, so make sure to check that.

Also, you could ask your future vet. Not that all of us hunt talkers aren't experts, but vets truly are.

Lastly, when you do pick up your new pup, we expect pictures! :D

Don’t over think it. Work with the breeder, get his thoughts and enjoy your new hunting partner.

I've messed with bird dogs for the last thirty years or so.

IMO there is no magic age to buy a puppy. If a breeder was willing to keep them 12 weeks,,, that would be preferable to me.

Thinking that one day and one day only is optimal to properly bond with a dog is fanciful, at best.

Doesnt matter, if they are weened they are old enough. By about 6-7 weeks most bitches have had their fill of them. Might as well send them on to there new homes at that point.

I let them go between day 49-56.

Couple things: I like them to go home with an immunization which should be given no sooner than a week after they are completely off mom in weaning process. If they get off mom week 6, then get their shot a day later to go to homes, the anti-bodies in mom's milk can potentially counteract parvovirus immunization.

They learn from mom until week 6 and learn alot play-fighting and interacting with litter mates the week or two after.

I offer day 49 simply because of Wolter's Day 49 obsession, otherwise I think day 56 is fine. If it is a decent sized litter, I can't choose exact days as people come in from out of state or Canada and I have to work with them. Never sooner than day 49 though.

www.covemountainkennels.com

I'll second the state regs. Many states say they can't leave the mother until 8 weeks, so make sure to check that.

Also, you could ask your future vet. Not that all of us hunt talkers aren't experts, but vets truly are.

Our pup is 2 weeks old today. She’s a Bavarian Mountain Hound and I’ll post pictures when we get her in early June:).
We’re making travel plans to get her.

Thanks for all the advice! I find all the theories pretty interesting.

Lastly, when you do pick up your new pup, we expect pictures! :D

I always heard 8-12 weeks, some of the 12 week olds friends have bought were great because they were learning how to act around other dogs and kids where they were comfortable. At least thats what the breeder said

Back