Caribou Gear Tarp

Public meeting on August 12 in Phoenix to discuss sportfishing issues in Arizona

Delw

On August 12, the Arizona Game and Fish Department (AGFD) will host another Anglers Round Table to discuss a variety of sportfishing-related issues with anglers. Round Table discussion topics tend to range from slot limits to tournament fishing, habitat improvements, certified scales, law enforcement issues, proposed rule changes, and PWC Control, to even more serious issues, like “What have you caught lately and where, how, and at what depth did you catch it?”

These meetings, which occur 4-5 times per year, are open to the public and are intentionally very informal. Sometimes they are even fun. They start at 6 pm (sharp), so participants are encouraged to bring and consume “brown bag” dinners and non-alcoholic beverages, if they wish. AGFD provides free sodas (selection is limited by my biases) and water.

In keeping with our Eastside/Westside rotation, the August 12 Round Table will be held at the AGFD Wildlife Building, at the Fairgrounds at McDowell and 19th Avenue. This site has easy access from the Papago Freeway, just west of the Tunnel of Death, when said Freeway is not clogged with soon-to-be-rusting automobile carcasses. Be careful. Just drive as if the Freeway were the Saguaro Straits on a summer Saturday afternoon. Or sneak in from other routes.

Access to the Fairgrounds tends to be erratic, but we valiantly try to have both the 19th Avenue and the McDowell Road entrances (gates) open for arrival and departure. The Wildlife Building is closer to the 19th Avenue gate (first stand-alone building on your right), but in either case we are on the northwest side of the Coliseum, with a Big Sign atop our humble structure. Entrance and parking are free for this meeting, but the exit fee will depend on the quality of each individual’s participation – AGFD employees included.

Participants should arrive no earlier than 5:45 pm, unless they are prepared to wait outside the building on the 1000°F pavement. Hint for people who have trouble finding fish – the wait is much cooler on the grassy area just south of the Wildlife Building. Just look at the setting sun and turn left. Your other left.

Several amazingly well informed AGFD employees (plus Larry Riley) will be present at the Round Table to discuss a variety of warm-water and cold-water fisheries issues with attendees. Discussion priorities will be set at the meeting, and discussion time for each item will be STRICTLY MONITORED AND ENFORCED (this time we mean it! Trust us, we’re from the government.), to ensure that all the priority items are covered.

This meeting will focus on issues left over from the June Round Table, and especially proposed AGFD fisheries rule changes for 2003 (Commission Order 40; see www.azgfd.com for the current version) and Roosevelt Lake Management (including Rodeo/Chediski runoff concerns, SRP Habitat Conservation Planning, and undoubtedly slot limits and fishery management goals and strategies). A detailed draft agenda is posted on this website, and is available via e-mail request to [email protected].

Additional discussion items can be suggested at the meeting. Whether they will be discussed or deferred is subject to available time and attendee preferences.

The Round Table will end when business is as done as it can be for the night, which, based on previous meetings, will probably be about 2100 to 2200. Any subsequent Parking Lot discussions are not part of the meeting, nor is any associated sale (or acquisition) of Del-Mart products.

Post-meeting cleanup assistance will be appreciated (thanks again to all who helped out last time).

Every person attending this meeting will win at least one door prize of “incredible value*.” A special prize of even more “incredible value*” will be awarded to the individual voted by the group to be the evening’s Most Valuable Participant. AGFD employees are not eligible for the prizes, and the Department will not cover towing costs (if any) for any prizes awarded. (Note: “incredible value” as used herein is defined as “worth a lot more than a well-used tube bait.”)

If you want to be included on the Department’s e-mail distribution list for future Anglers Round Tables, please send your name, mailing address, and phone and fax numbers to [email protected]. I’ve given up asking for the Swiss bank account information because nobody complies.

Good fishing to you all. Samario (Terry B. Johnson, AGFD Chief of Nongame and Endangered Wildlife)

Cut and paste for you AZ guys..
Delw

Delw,
Anyone going to pleasant afterwards???
I have mondays off now and would like to head out there after and go fishing with anyone. Does someone have a backseat open? (No elky boys, I did not say back-end open).

I might be able to make the meeting and afterwards. I'll have to see. Work is starting to get busy. If so, I'll need to bum a ride as well.

Steve

I'm going to the meeting too!!!!!! :D :D

I'm still working on fishing afterwards.

Thanks to Delw's evil ways, I'm having a harder time convincing my wife, because Delw kept me out all night last time.

And since I'm planning on fishing Mon. morning at saguaro, she may think going out after the meeting is too much (is there such a thing as too much fishing?)

AJ, how long would you need my reel for?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back