Caribou Gear Tarp

Prove me wrong: Map data collection

Seriously does anyone actually have a big bull bedded point? SMH

Honestly, if we are talking worst case scenario here, a company like OnX would be selling your tracking data to google who combines it with other data to create a profile of you.

Oh look, Bob buys donnets, drinks bud heavy, has a 4wheeler on credit, and doesn’t show any walking/hiking movement. He’s probably going to die of a heart attack, deny any apps for life insurance, increase his health insurance premium, and target adds for various blood pressure pharmaceuticals.
Now your thinking! Just go a little bit towards the less obvious and more sinister side🤔. Your data=💰💰💰💰🎊!

It’s only for accuracy purposes. You know “field staff” randomly check a few waypoints in predetermined units September-December. Predetermined Unit selection is decided January through the second Tuesday of April annually using last years accumulated waypoints.

Seriously does anyone actually have a big bull bedded point? SMH

Honestly, if we are talking worst case scenario here, a company like OnX would be selling your tracking data to google who combines it with other data to create a profile of you.

Oh look, Bob buys donnets, drinks bud heavy, has a 4wheeler on credit, and doesn’t show any walking/hiking movement. He’s probably going to die of a heart attack, deny any apps for life insurance, increase his health insurance premium, and target adds for various blood pressure pharmaceuticals.
I take this as an attack on me personally because I enjoy a bud heavy and buy donnettes.

This sounds like a guy I work with who refuses to go to the doctor because he thinks the insurance will find out everything that’s wrong with him and increase his premiums! Every meeting about insurance he brings this up and the conversation is always hilarious!
Just don’t mark any of the animals you see…some young 6.5 creedmore shooting hippie with mad hacking skills could also be riding around out there at night getting real time information from your phone while you sleep!

Interesting and (somewhat) scary stuff. Thank god no one gives a hoot about deer hunting in the Adirondacks...

It's interesting to consider the flip side though. Imagine how well Onx could crowdsource information for biologists. What if there was a special waypoint color/label that you could press when you encounter _____ species of concern that automatically populates a map for biologists working on ______ conservation. There's some potential there.

Interesting and (somewhat) scary stuff. Thank god no one gives a hoot about deer hunting in the Adirondacks...

It's interesting to consider the flip side though. Imagine how well Onx could crowdsource information for biologists. What if there was a special waypoint color/label that you could press when you encounter _____ species of concern that automatically populates a map for biologists working on ______ conservation. There's some potential there
I take this as an attack on me personally because I enjoy a bud heavy and buy donnettes.

Attachments

• 6562B9AE-4736-4637-8055-BF093362987F.jpeg
    6562B9AE-4736-4637-8055-BF093362987F.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 64
I have thought this since about the second or third year I was using it. Not soon after they made an update and added the various waypoint types which only further strengthened my suspicion.

I just drop waypoints, rarely change the type to “elk” “camp” etc. or change the title of them. If I start getting a bunch in a given area I will color code them.

This thread is hilarious, you all must have some golden waypoints, but if you're that paranoid about technology better cancel your internet, just think what the IT pervs at tiktok are doing with videos of your kids! I'm sure they can turn the camera on anytime they want.

I don't mark way points on onx for anything but work or fishing. Hunting wise I have a pretty good memory so all I need in the map. I guess I do mark future areas so I can share them, but who knows if they're worth a darn

This thread is hilarious, you all must have some golden waypoints, but if you're that paranoid about technology better cancel your internet, just think what the IT pervs at tiktok are doing with videos of your kids! I'm sure they can turn the camera on anytime they want.
It's not that there is paranoia about technology. Yes agreed that these large social media platforms can see whatever whenever. I'm just bringing up the point that the owners and sponsored people of these platforms have the ability to see an extraordinary about of data that could be used for private benefit. Just look at all the threads on HuntTalk that ask for unit recommendations. I've even done it! It's not the "golden waypoints" it's the data as a whole and trends that has me questioning. I embrace technology and have been an early adapter, it's just a very good thing to think about. Especially if everyone is supposed to be on a level playing field on public land.

It's not that there is paranoia about technology. Yes agreed that these large social media platforms can see whatever whenever. I'm just bringing up the point that the owners and sponsored people of these platforms have the ability to see an extraordinary about of data that could be used for private benefit. Just look at all the threads on HuntTalk that ask for unit recommendations. I've even done it! It's not the "golden waypoints" it's the data as a whole and trends that has me questioning. I embrace technology and have been an early adapter, it's just a very good thing to think about. Especially if everyone is supposed to be on a level playing field on public land.
I guess my point is you have to assume some risk to privacy if you want to use any technology in this day, yeah they can access your data, and yeah some people might break rules and cheat and maybe find a way to mine hunting locations, but I highly doubt it's widespread since the first disgruntled former employee would surely spill the beans, and in the end you'd probably never know the difference since anybody can hunt public land and invade your spots regardless. This is about the least of my worries when it comes to internet privacy.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back