MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Proposed bobcat harvest ban in Colo

Khunter

Enviros have petitioned CPW commission to ban bobcat harvest in Colorado. Email Commission members BEFORE May 9 meeting. More info at below website and attached.

Attachments

• Sportsman's Followup Ltr Bobcat Petition 4 19 19 copy.pdf
    143.5 KB · Views: 10
More leftist fools that do not have a clue about how many cats are out there. They tried that crap in Arizona, and failed. I hope that science prevails.

More leftist fools that do not have a clue about how many cats are out there. They tried that crap in Arizona, and failed. I hope that science prevails.

...Science prevailing in Colorado, who are you kidding. Spring bear ban, trapping ban, Senate passed a fracking ban after the public referendum bill failed in a landslide, and probably the largest population of antivaxers outside of the coasts.

Needless to say I don't have high hopes for us keeping cat hunting.

Last edited:
They have this proposed in CA too, I think my state would like to ban all hunting 🤦

Really makes me want to move.

...Science prevailing in Colorado, who are you kidding. Spring bear ban, trapping ban, Senate passed a fracking ban after the public referendum bill failed in a landslide, and probably the largest population of antivaxers outside of the coasts.

Needless to say I don't have high hopes for us keeping cat hunting.
Party of the People(s Republic of Boulder)…

This group, the cat lovers, came unhinged when the backcountry runner went Conor McGregor on the kitten, calling for an all out ban on running backcountry trails.

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately it's not just Boulder-ites. I'm amazed and disgusted with the attitudes and beliefs of some of the residents out here on the so called conservative side of the state.

Live trap them and release them in Denver.

Thoughts as I read this...

"911 Dispatch what is your emergency"

Boulder-ite
"There is a bobcat assaulting a goose in our yard, you have to send help now"

"Mam, did you say a bobcat is... assaulting a goose"

Boulder-ite
"Yes!! Please send the police right now they need to be separated, but don't hurt the bobcat he has a right to find his bliss, but what he is doing to the goose is just awful"

"Um... I'm sorry mam but that's not an emergency, why don't you call animal control"

I don’t think the bobcat trapping and hunting ban will pass. The basis for the petition was the impact to linx, which are protected under the ESA. If there was evidence that bobcat hunting was impacting linx in CO, someone would sue USFWS to force the state to close the season. The spring bear and trapping bans were the result of propositions being passed by voters, not the wildlife commission’s decision. I guess
I’m hoping the commission is a bit more objective than the public. I’ve been wrong before though.

Thoughts as I read this...

"911 Dispatch what is your emergency"

Boulder-ite
"There is a bobcat assaulting a goose in our yard, you have to send help now"

"Mam, did you say a bobcat is... assaulting a goose"

Boulder-ite
"Yes!! Please send the police right now they need to be separated, but don't hurt the bobcat he has a right to find his bliss, but what he is doing to the goose is just awful"

"Um... I'm sorry mam but that's not an emergency, why don't you call animal control"

The issue is that in states like Colorado, Nebraska, etc. where a large part of the population is concentrated in 1 or maybe 2 areas, you have people making policy for people in other areas and have no clue about how that policy affects those in the less populated areas.

The issue is that in states like Colorado, Nebraska, etc. where a large part of the population is concentrated in 1 or maybe 2 areas, you have people making policy for people in other areas and have no clue about how that policy affects those in the less populated areas.

Also doesn't help that only 42% of residents were born in the state... if you exclude those under the age of 25 that percentage drops to 26%.

Also doesn't help that only 42% of residents were born in the state... if you exclude those under the age of 25 that percentage drops to 26%.
Can you expand on this? Just my personal experience, being born in another state, but all of the friends I have that have moved here love to hunt and fish and seem to have a pretty good understanding of these issues. Do the 58% of born in CO residents believe the same way?

all of the friends I have that have moved here love to hunt and fish and seem to have a pretty good understanding of these issues.

Generally speaking, and I'm painting with a huge brush, Colorado was a rural farming ranching state. People who grew up here, went to school here, had friends or were themselves in the ag industry/ hunted/fished etc. Further, I remember in school learning about predator prey relationships/ having DOW biologist come into our science classes and talk about mountain lions/ having friends in 4H/ etc. Also anyone who grew up in the mountains, probably had some positive and some negative interactions with wildlife. Even if you didn't hunt you knew someone who had a dog killed by a lion or a friend who had wrecked a car hitting an elk. Point being your life experiences gave you a more nuanced opinion about wildlife that seemed to leave you at least open to the idea of managing through hunting and trapping.

Sure, if you moved here from WY, MT, MN, WI, or a number of other rural places you probably had similar experiences and share this view of human environmental interaction, but a huge number of the CO transplants are from California, Florida, Illinois, New York, etc. and specifically urban areas within those states. These individuals can probably give you a pretty nuanced view about urban infrastructure, whether we should add lanes to I-70 or dig up downtown and put in a subway, but the first time they are confronting wildlife issues is when they are 28 years old going to REI to buy their first sleeping bag for a backpacking trip to conundrum hot springs and some person with a clip board and a mission jumps in front of them in the parking lot and asks them if they will sign a petition to stop people from strangling bobcats.

So yes I think having 58% of a states population totally ignorant that's states flora and fauna, not to mention economy, politics, etc is not helpful. I would say the same thing about a ton of other issues as well... people who move here from Texas/Florida (states with no income tax) don't get why we need to raise taxes to build roads/why it's on the ballot/what TABOR is and why it's a nightmare, people from CA don't understand that virtually every building downtown houses an Oil/Gas related company and that banning energy development will have huge consequences on our economy, etc. etc.

Part of me wonder if the solution is to require you to have lived in a state 5 years before your allowed to vote on local issues... joking of course... but still...I mean I lived in Montana for 3 years and after that time I barely felt like I have a grasp of local issues enough to cast an informed vote on various topics.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, and I'm painting with a huge brush, Colorado was a rural farming ranching state. People who grew up here, went to school here, had friends or were themselves in the ag industry/ hunted/fished etc. Further, I remember in school learning about predator prey relationships/ having DOW biologist come into our science classes and talk about mountain lions/ having friends in 4H/ etc. Also anyone who grew up in the mountains, probably had some positive and some negative interactions with wildlife. Even if you didn't hunt you knew someone who had a dog killed by a lion or a friend who had wrecked a car hitting an elk. Point being your life experiences gave you a more nuanced opinion about wildlife that seemed to leave you at least open to the idea of managing through hunting and trapping.
Sounds like half of the CA I grew up in. I've seen more mountain lions in CA than I've seen here in CO, not as many deer though ;). Although 4H was/is not as prevalent as CO, it still existed. My father rode his horse to HS in rural suburb of San Diego. I lived on a dirt road throughout my youth. Lots of folks had livestock, even it the surrounding counties of Los Angeles. Sadly that is fading rather quickly although I do believe the HS still has a 4H/FFA program.

Sure, if you moved here from WY, MT, MN, WI, or a number of other rural places you probably had similar experiences and share this view of human environmental interaction, but a huge number of the CO transplants are from California, Florida, Illinois, New York, etc. and specifically urban areas within those states. These individuals can probably give you a pretty nuanced view about urban infrastructure, whether we should add lanes to I-70 or dig up downtown and put in a subway, but the first time they are confronting wildlife issues is when they are 28 years old going to REI to buy their first sleeping bag for a backpacking trip to conundrum hot springs and some person with a clip board and a mission jumps in front of them in the parking lot and asks them if they will sign a petition to stop people from strangling bobcats.
I think it is specifically metro areas that folks move from, regardless of origin that contribute to this knee jerk legislation of wildlife. All one needs to do is read through the various posts in social media to see the unscientific basis for rules. Some of the photography groups are the worst.

So yes I think having 58% of a states population totally ignorant that's states flora and fauna, not to mention economy, politics, etc is not helpful. I would say the same thing about a ton of other issues as well... people who move here from Texas/Florida (states with no income tax) don't get why we need to raise taxes to build roads/why it's on the ballot/what TABOR is and why it's a nightmare, people from CA don't understand that virtually every building downtown houses an Oil/Gas related company and that banning energy development will have huge consequences on our economy, etc. etc.

Part of me wonder if the solution is to require you to have lived in a state 5 years before your allowed to vote on local issues... joking of course... but still...I mean I lived in Montana for 3 years and after that time I barely felt like I have a grasp of local issues enough to cast an informed vote on various topics.
I think you're only partially joking, but I believe you've mentioned the 5 year voting moratorium. I think a good majority of that 58% moved due to the flora and fauna, they just happen to be the ones who only want everyone to visually enjoy nature, not culinarily(is that a word?)

Just for giggles, next time you meet someone that says "I'm from CA"... ask them where they were born, chances are some other state will enter the conversation.

PS~ I think we're arguing for the same things, just from different perspectives.

Just for giggles, next time you meet someone that says "I'm from CA"... ask them where they were born, chances are some other state will enter the conversation.

Like my uncle from Little Rock who lives in Redding, or my Cousin from Lincoln, NE that lives in Sonoma, or maybe my other cousin from Boulder that lives in LA...

Yeah the TLDR was that as migration from urban areas in other states to CO continues it will be harder and harder to keep traditional rural practices. If we don't want to have hunting/trapping opportunities further eroded, our community needs to a better job educating and including urbanites in these practices.

Finally they voted smartly on who pays the freaking bills. They are currently pimping us all on fees but maybe the upside is they will vote accordingly to who pays the bills.

There were about 250 people in the commission meeting yesterday, probably 85% sportsmen. Public testimony lasted about 2 hours, alternating between support and opposition to the petition. Notable was the sportsmen were well organized, well behaved, well dressed, and did not resort to attacking the other side. They presented scientific evidence to support their position and did not make emotional arguments. I'm not sure anyone believed that the Commission would vote in support of the petition, but there were question marks about several new commissioners that have been appointed by our new Governor. It was good to see a unanimous vote in opposition. One concession the Commission made is that in the coming months they plan to look at methods of dispatch for live-trapped bobcats.

Legal weed attracted Californians in droves and lots of others with similar thought processes. Colorado is lost. They will ban all predator hunting by 2021 and wolves will be introduced.

Back