Proper disposal of ammo

buzzard

If a person happens to have a bunch of old unfired, metalic and/or shotshells and doesn't want to waste time pulling bullets, dumping shot and so on. What is the proper way of disposing of these? The old ammo is unsafe to shoot as it may be reloaded by someone else and you have no way of knowing what the componets are or were. Or perhaps it is a bunch of cheap military stuff you caught on sale from a catalog and now you found out why!
I am sure all of us have a few of these laying around somewhere in a box or bag in the reloading room, in the gun safe/cabinet or wherever. I have never seen this question ask before so I thought I might.
I know how a lot of people do it, I just want to know the proper way :)

The proper way, IMO, is to dis-mantle it. That or call the police/sheriffs to dispose of it.
Welcome to Moosie's buzzard. you may want to think about changing that name on this board:D

An old geezer gave me a big cardboard box of ammo he had been scrounging since the mid '30s... bunch of 32 Specials, .30-40 Krags and moldy, corroding .30-06. Chucked them into the innertia puller/hammer, popped and saved the bullet, dumped the powder, and punched the primer out. Soaked the last two in seperate cans of old oil. It's one of the few ways I know how NOT to send the garbage disposal guy into orbit. Saved the brass, though.

SRR.....Thanks for your input. That's about what I thought, but just wanted another point of view. About my name :) , I have had that or a version there of since I was under a year old! Can't see any sense of losing or changing it now!!
And that has been many moons. Anyway, thanks for your welcome, I been watching this board for some time. Just never chose to dive in. Thanks again guys.

Buzzard, I know what you mean about nicknames... I didn't pick 'Dangerous' and had absolutely no say in it -still I have to live with it. If I'm anything it isn't dangerous, even though I sometimes do stuff that's kinda nuts. I've been glossed with that name forever and it's what everyone calls me, so I'm stuck with it.
Since smokeless powder is nothing more than graphite coated celulouse (sp?) and a few other chemicals, it just might serve OK as some kind of fertilizer. The only downside would be if someone threw a smoke in my garden -whoosh!

You can also use your old powder at Hunter Ed live fire demo's. Here in Az we have a field day where we show the students the difference between burn rates of smokeless and black powder, plus blow up water melons, potatoes, cabbage & ice blocks. I would much rather burn up old powder than my good stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back