Yeti GOBOX Collection

Pronghorn Facts

I love hunting speed goats. Plan for this year if I didn’t draw a MT elk tag was to go to Wyoming and shoot a few antelope. Turns out I drew a once in a lifetime ND elk tag and a MT bull tag. I plan to return the MT tag to get a %70 return.

They jump fences all the time. Most prefer to go under if they can but I see them jump fences with regularity.
An article I read some years ago indicated this was a matter of evolution. 200+ years ago there were no such things as fences here, and they don't have to jump over downed timber as there is none where the live on the prairies. In comparison, deer and elk have been programmed through time to jump bushes and deadfall. Of course, much of science is supposition.

Another amazing fact about Pronghorn: If you plant expensive new bushes and trees in your yard out on the prairie the bucks WILL destroy them! They also don't have a problem coming onto the porch and looking in the patio doors at times. 😃
They don't even eat them-- they either bite the tops off and leave them or stomp them to death.

They can't jump over fences.... :ROFLMAO:
I found one once that couldn't...

I was driving from Montana to Denver for Christmas one year and a few miles east of Douglas, WY we noticed an antelope hanging upside down from a fence and he was still alive. I turned around and we walked over to see if we could free him.

When he had tried to jump the fence his body went over the top wire but his back legs went between the top and 2nd wires and hooked the 2nd wire. When he came down the top two wires twisted tight around his back legs.

He was pretty exhausted from hanging and struggling so I was able to grab him around his chest and hold him up high enough to loosen the wires, then my friend was able to pull his legs out from between the wires. When I set him down on the ground he ran off without so much as a Thank You.

Back