Yeti GOBOX Collection

Pronghorn Facts

SD_Prairie_Goat

Well, in light of highly political debates, lets talk about one of my favorite subjects, pronghorns!

Here are some of my favorite facts, please add some of yours!
  • Top speed 55mph, don't shoot at a sprinting Antelope, you'll miss :ROFLMAO:
  • Multiple subspecies, Sonoran pronghorn, Mexican pronghorn, Oregon pronghorn, and Baja California Pronghorn
  • Closest living relative is the giraffe.
  • Dwarf pronghorn once roamed North America 11,000 years ago. Closest relative to our current pronghorn. Dwarf because they were only 24" to the shoulders and weighed 25 pounds
  • Stockoceros, also extinct 12k years ago, had two equal sized prongs and lived in SW USA, and Mexico:
1654266733985.png

Well, in light of highly political debates, lets talk about one of my favorite subjects, pronghorns!

Here are some of my favorite facts, please add some of yours!
  • Top speed 55mph, don't shoot at a sprinting Antelope, you'll miss :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 224648
I would bet a couple paychecks that they can exceed 55 mph. I've personally clocked them over 60. I've long believed that with the proper motivation (i.e. being chased by a cheetah), you would actually find that the pronghorn is in fact the world's fastest land animal.

I would bet a couple paychecks that they can exceed 55 mph. I've personally clocked them over 60. I've long believed that with the proper motivation (i.e. being chased by a cheetah), you would actually find that the pronghorn is in fact the world's fastest land animal.
But your point is well taken... don't shoot a sprinting antelope! At a speed of 60 mph, that's about 88 fps. At 100 yards, a 3000 fps bullet would take about 0.1 seconds to reach the antelope, during which time it would have moved nearly 9 feet!

In a small herd, one of them is ALWAYS dialed into you. Even if the buck you’re trying to shoot seems like he could care less. Then they intentionally wait until you are fully setup and ready to pull the trigger before they bust out like someone just threw a hand grenade in the middle of them.

1654281936343.jpeg

But your point is well taken... don't shoot a sprinting antelope! At a speed of 60 mph, that's about 88 fps. At 100 yards, a 3000 fps bullet would take about 0.1 seconds to reach the antelope, during which time it would have moved nearly 9 feet!
Let's be realistic, if someone's taking a shot at a running antelope it's more like 500 yards, so that puts it at 55 to 65 feet off!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back