MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Promising mule deer unit

Lrhxr9

Hi, my name is Lindell. I have been to montana a couple of times with a big game combo tag. My limited knowledge mainly resides in central to nw montana. Im 32 and my father is a ‘62 model. I was fortunate enough to fill both tags on my combo both years. My father and brother have been interested in a mule deer and have been hounding me to put together a family hunt before dad gets too old. I was looking for any areas that would be a decent place to go. Preferably in kansas, nebraska or the south dakota. We all live in missouri. A shorter commute would let us hunt an extra day possibly. Does not have to be a unit with booner sized bucks. Probably would be a do it yourself hunt. Mainly because of money. But if you have an outfitter or some private ground information that would be awesome as well. Thanks in advance.

Thanks. I had the opportunity to go to montana when i was a younger single man. 5 years later have a new house, a new job and 2 little boys. Going to start going back west as soon as my apprenticeship is over and life is back to normal. In the next year or two.

To me, a family hunt isn't necessarily about the animal, but about the experience. You can grab a couple of NR antelope doe tags in Wyoming and set up a camp and have a hell of a time. With the money you save just getting doe tags, that would offset fuel and food costs. Wait until your apprenticeship is over and all of you save a little for the next couple of years and all do deer combos in Montana. One hell of a party to celebrate finishing your apprenticeship.

Yeah def not looking for giant bucks by any means. And dad has toy hauler so ill be looking for somewhere with camping close by. Itll be a fun time. and antelope are on my radar as well. They seem to generally be a cheaper tag.

Last edited:
I would be hunting Colorado if i were you. PS you have some great deer hunting were your at in Missouri, I hunt just west of you 30 min or so..

We hunt alot here. But at some point the whitetails from a stand is just not as much fun as out west. And with the properties here getting smaller and smaller all the time plus everything is getting leased up its hard to find a place to hunt that you can manage and hunt it by yourself or just a few buddies. For the cost of a decent sized lease you can go west.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back