Yeti GOBOX Collection

Processor/Taxidermist recommendations near Dillon

BuckeyeRifleman

Heading out on my first elk hunt in a few weeks, and I’m starting to think about meat and cape logistics if we’re so lucky on that front. I’ve got a general tag and my buddy has a 399-00 B tag. If we bag one early, I’d like to drop off the meat at a processor while we try and fill the other tag.

Anyone have a processor they recommend? Preferably one that has a relatively short turnaround time? (Week or less.) We’ve got 10 days to hunt, anything we put down in the first 3 will probably get processed while we are out in MT rather than risk waiting until we get back to OH. Even in the unlikely scenario we fill both tags early we will probably stick around and do some fishing for a few days regardless.

The other consideration is the head/cape... Unless I shoot a booner, which is unlikely, I’ll probably just do a European mount. Per my understanding taking the skull back without cleaning it is a no go now due to CWD. Any recommendations for getting the skull back legally? Not sure if any taxidermists would bleach a skull with such short turnaround.

Any recommendations on this front would be appreciated. I had my Antelope processed at Hamilton pack last year and they did an awesome job and were super quick, but I’d like to find someplace more local to the Dillon/Ennis area where we will be hunting. Also, vacuum sealed would be preferable as I’m heading overseas on a deployment next year and probably won’t consume all the meat by that point.

Thanks!

Ben

Last edited:
Just bring the supplies to get the skull mostly cleaned up in camp. pretty easy to do.
To OP, RE: CWD, you'll want to research the states your travelling to and through regarding their restrictions on CWD and skull cleaning requirements. That area of MT is not in CWD zone, so you can travel inside MT with it. I think you're on the right track to do the skull locally.

Doubtful you could get a skull cleaned that quick. Degreasing time alone would take a week or more. I'm not sure what the requirements are on "clean" for CWD purposes, though.

Clean the skull yourself, get a turkey cooker, and take it to the car wash on the way home. It should be clean enough.

Back