Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Pro Hunter bullets

Durango Mike

Cleaning up reloading room, found several "Pro Hunter" 100 bullet boxes in 270 and 7mm, can't remember how I came by them, but they must have been cheap when I bought them. Anyone have any experience? also found some Secnar 30 cal 185 SPBT, Norma 150 gr 270, can't find any loads worked up in my notebooks so probably never used them.

Cleaning up reloading room, found several "Pro Hunter" 100 bullet boxes in 270 and 7mm, can't remember how I came by them, but they must have been cheap when I bought them. Anyone have any experience? also found some Secnar 30 cal 185 SPBT, Norma 150 gr 270, can't find any loads worked up in my notebooks so probably never used them.
For the 185grSecnar I'd look up data for a 190gr bullet, start low and work up. For the 150gr Norma bullet. I'd use data out of any manual with a similar bullet, start low and work up.

For the 185grSecnar I'd look up data for a 190gr bullet, start low and work up. For the 150gr Norma bullet. I'd use data out of any manual with a similar bullet, start low and work up.
Got it on the load work up. I think these are Sierra overruns that came from Midway, probably seconds, the note I found indicates I paid about $18 a box. I have never shot any game with them and was curious if anyone else had. I may just trade them off rather than work up a new load for my wife's Dakota 270 that shoots 130 and 140 Accubonds into 1/2 inch with 4831 sc. I will use the 30 Secnar to develop a match load in the 308 for long range, have a few boxes of 168 gr Sierra HPBT I used in service rifle matches, but everything is in short supply, so having an alternative load makes sense.

Got it on the load work up. I think these are Sierra overruns that came from Midway, probably seconds, the note I found indicates I paid about $18 a box. I have never shot any game with them and was curious if anyone else had. I may just trade them off rather than work up a new load for my wife's Dakota 270 that shoots 130 and 140 Accubonds into 1/2 inch with 4831 sc. I will use the 30 Secnar to develop a match load in the 308 for long range, have a few boxes of 168 gr Sierra HPBT I used in service rifle matches, but everything is in short supply, so having an alternative load makes sense.
Every factory second order I have done from Midway has come either in a plastic bag inside white paperboard box or in a blue plastic box.

Years ago I used some Sierra Pro Hunter 140 gr. in a 284 Winchester. I killed a bull and a couple of deer with them and had no complaints. Not as slick as most people want today. As I recall they were semi pointed.

Pro hunter are really good bullets. The 180 Spitzer Pro Hunter is one of my favorite 30-06 bullets.

Pro hunter are really good bullets. The 180 Spitzer Pro Hunter is one of my favorite 30-06 bullets.
Thanks for the real hunting input, inside the unopened box was a Midway tag saying they were an overrun. They still appear in the Sierra catalog at $44 a hundred so someone must be using them. Semi pointed with a tapered jacket, I guess I need to satisfy my curosity and load a few to test.

My daughter has killed...

4 deer 200. 150. 90. And 125 yards.
1 antelope. 330 yards.
1 desert bighorn ewe. 250 yards.

With her 243 and 100 grain pro hunters.

All have died in less than 50 yards. All but the sheep were one shot kills. (Sheep was a bit high on the first shot).

They work. I like them and Speer hot cor for the simplicity and easy load work up.

Thanks for the real hunting input, inside the unopened box was a Midway tag saying they were an overrun. They still appear in the Sierra catalog at $44 a hundred so someone must be using them. Semi pointed with a tapered jacket, I guess I need to satisfy my curosity and load a few to test.
55 grains of H4350 is a popular load With that bullet. If you don’t shoot game past 400ish flat based bullets perform really well.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back