Prefrence Points for Nonresident

JNF

Greetings: I am planning an elk hunting trip for GMU 76 around Creede, Co. I have been hunting in "non-trophy" areas for a few years and have accumilcated 6 Preference points. Does anyone have any idea what the minimum number of prefrence points needed to get into that unit? I have contacted Colorado DOW about this and cannot seem to get a definitve answer. Thanks in advance....

Thanks
J

Last year was:
6 - Archery
8 - Rifle
11 - Muzzleloader

May be more this year with the new R/NR %. I'm not sure if it is a unit that will be affected.

Is that for the second season also? That does not sound very encouraging. If I select a cow as second choice, will they take all my preference points?

I don't have the #s for second season.

As far as I know, you only lose your PP with your first choice

Thanks for the info! I will try CDOW again. Let me know if you find out anything else.

J

This site is very helpful. You should check it out. www.huntodds.com

To answer your question, about 50% drew with 7 points. If it is the same as last year you would not draw this year. Check the DOW website but it looks like it is going to be a 65/35 split.

JNF, welcome to hunttalk.
If you are serious about hunting the area, I'd be glad to share what I know, as I have hunted the area before, but these days you may find beter use of your 6 pp's... a 300 inch bull is about as good as it gets in 76.

"Is that for the second season also? That does not sound very encouraging. If I select a cow as second choice, will they take all my preference points?"

If you select a cow as your second choice and hit on a tag, you will keep you PP's. PP's are only taken if your first choice is successful on drawing a tag.

Back