Caribou Gear Tarp

Prairie dog hunting in KS or NE

lr123

I am looking to go prairie dog hunting in either Kansas or Nebraska sometime this summer. Last time I was able to go was almost 10 years ago and we only had a few hours to shoot since I was helping a friend move out to NW Kansas. I know plague and poisoning has really reduced the population since the last time I went but I'm sure there are a few left. I am looking for recommendations from fellow members on where they suggest going.

I don't know if you're set on those two states or if you'd be willing to go to SD, but if you are you might check with the Pine Ridge Reservation and the Rosebud Reservation in Southern South Dakota . They used to offer some all day shooting (from my understanding, I've never done it).

I hear the rosebud is real nice. A half drunk feller take you out in the morning, leaves you with bologna sandwiches and an ironing board to shoot from and heads to go quench his thirst. Picks you up whenever.

There are prairie dogs in a many of the BLM grassland areas. Just a matter of doing some looking. I certainly would not recommend paying to do so on a reservation. Especially not the Pine Ridge. That place is like a whole other country.

I hear the rosebud is real nice. A half drunk feller take you out in the morning, leaves you with bologna sandwiches and an ironing board to shoot from and heads to go quench his thirst. Picks you up whenever.

There are prairie dogs in a many of the BLM grassland areas. Just a matter of doing some looking. I certainly would not recommend paying to do so on a reservation. Especially not the Pine Ridge. That place is like a whole other country.
Those are very fair points lol!! I wouldn't pay to shoot them either.

I’ve heard some interesting stories about a couple reservations. I’m not completely set on those two but SD is roughly 18 hours each way and I’m not sure we could do that in 4 days. I purchased the prairie dog layer on OnX as well to hopefully do some scouting from home.

The Cimarron National grassland in SW KS might have a decent amount of dogs. I think you can get a map for the towns on the KDWP website.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back