Practice Regimen

Hey guys,

I just picked up my first compound this weekend and got a couple hours at the range for instructions. I did smoke my forearm (rocking a beautiful bruise this week) which may have me a little gun shy.

I shot well at the range and was hitting vitals on a 3D deer consistently. The next day my shooting really fell apart though. I would shoot a solid group at 20 and then fling a wild one after 6-10 shots.

How do you guys recommend I approach my practice to become proficient by deer season in October? Should I limit myself as not to get fatigued and sloppy or should I shoot til I’m burnt out? My common sense tells me to shoot in brief sessions consistently until my bow muscles strengthen but maybe I’m wrong.

Any advice is appreciated!
Turn the draw weight down about 5 lbs. When you comfortably draw you should be able to keep the bow level. If you have to point up in the air to draw then your draw weight is too high. You can eventually, slowly increase your draw weight as you practice. Figure out your anchor point. Everyone is slightly different. Some people use a kisser button to start. You should hit the wall comfortably at the anchor point. You will probably need subtle changes to your draw length to do that. Then do a paper tear and make rest adjustments if necessary. You can pick up a square for not much. There are other things that can cause a bad tear but that should get you started. I would ditch the 3d target for now and get a large bag. You will need to shoot at least 30 arrows a day better is 60. 30 in the morning and 30 in the afternoon. Once your muscles get tuned up you can work on exact form and holding. It will take weeks at least to get to that point.

I think it’s from Iron Mind that mentions intentionally letting down. It’s part of his program to tell your brain that either it needs to make a perfect shot or don’t shoot at all, and both are acceptable options. It really helped a buddy of mine with target panic.

I also like to try and start shooting from different positions (kneeling, sitting feet out, etc) that may be forced in the field as well as trying to do a couple rounds of drawing and holding for 30 seconds or drawing and trying to shoot within 3 seconds (ish). That really helps me feel confident in what would happen when some awkward real life scenarios pop up.

Good luck!

I taught my fiance to shoot 6 arrows every nite and thats all I shoot, IMO its about building muscle memory while developing good habits slow and steady and with in a few weeks she was doing great 2 inch groups at 20 yrds then moved back
This. If you can shoot were you live shoot often and really concentrate on the first two groups. After that my focus is not as strong. You can shoot more but I just consider anything more fun. To build your muscles google back exercises and build your upper back with a set of dumbbells. If you are tired after ten shots you will struggle in November/December weather being cold makes that draw weight feel soooo much heavier.

All I do, is shoot 3 arrows every other day once the nicer spring weather comes around. Then in the summer I try to shoot at least once a week at a 3D shoot at the local archery club. I figure in real life, most times you're only going to get 1 shot, on a rare occasion you might need 2. I feel it's more important to take up to 3 high quality shots, which at the most may take you 15-20 minutes at the most, then fling multiple arrows and risk bad shots, pick up bad habits, or even get injured. I also vary my shooting by changing the distance, shoot from different positions, ( kneeling, standing, from a platform), and various weather conditions. I add all 3 equations into my shooting, again to mimic possible real life situations.

I try and shoot at least three times a week. One thing I do that most guys don’t is only shoot two arrows at a time. Most will shoot a half dozen or even more before walking up and pulling them from the target. I’ve found that I can shoot longer and I’m more focused if I only shoot a few at a time.

I live in the city and really can't shoot at home, but I make it to the range 5 days a week for an hour or two shooting 20-80 yards. A few days a week I'll wear my bivy pack and walk one of the target courses and shoot my quiver each target. I do this to make up for lost time as I work overseas 28 days on / off.

I experience a bit of target panic, practice helps after a few days along with getting feedback from others watching me shoot. Sometimes I grip the bow a little to hard making me shoot right. Keep practicing!

I'm blessed with several options. I have 45 yds out in my back yard. There's an indoor range that I started using here in the past couple weeks that goes out to 65 yds. And we have a new 3D range that has 20 targets from 20 to 60 yds. Right now I'm shooting 3-4 times a week, 20-40 arrows at a time. If I shoot the 3D range I use 2 per target so that's 40 arrows right there.

When I start getting tired I quit. I don't try to extend my stamina by continuing to shoot.....mistakes start happening. I take a deliberate approach to shooting every single arrow. I don't try to rush through a quiver. At the indoor range I shoot at I was shooting 5-6 arrows at a time, only to figure out everyone else was waiting on me. Now I shoot 3 arrows and do 10-12 ends (the archery term for group), so that's about 30-36 arrows.

I shoot a couple of broadheads at my home target every now and then. I have not yet sighted in my bow for the broadheads.......I'm just working field points at the moment.

Lots of good suggestions. One thing I found helpful when starting out was a simple check list that I go through with every shot. Something along the lines of; feet/body position, elbow aligned, grip alignment, anchor, breath, and easing into the shot. Whatever order and steps you want to repeat consistently. Being able to step out the door and shoot 3 to 6 arrows several times a day works best for me.

Lots of good suggestions. One thing I found helpful when starting out was a simple check list that I go through with every shot. Something along the lines of; feet/body position, elbow aligned, grip alignment, anchor, breath, and easing into the shot. Whatever order and steps you want to repeat consistently. Being able to step out the door and shoot 3 to 6 arrows several times a day works best for me.

You sound like a Nock on fan. OP - check out 'school of nock' on youtube - its very helpful.

You sound like a Nock on fan. OP - check out 'school of nock' on youtube - its very helpful.
I had the pleasure of a friend, Bob Fromme work with me when I got into archery years ago. Google him or drop into his shop if you ever get a chance. It’s something to see and he is a humble and a genuine nice guy.
School of nock looks like the prefect platform for getting/staying tuned. Thanks for the lead Dan. OP check it out...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back