POWDER STORAGE!

antelopedundee

Anyone ever store powder in an empty DRY water bottle. Might sell a keg and may want to keep some back, but have nothing available/handy to keep it in.

And while we’re on the topic of powder storage, never store powder bottles or primers in a sealed structural container such as a steel ammo can. If a bottle of powder somehow ignites on your bench or in a wooden crate, it will burn. If a bottle of powder somehow ignites inside a steel ammo can, it is a bomb.

So storing powder in a fireproof fire cabinet is dangerous? Dang it. I wonder sometimes when I'm swishing around a bottle of powder making sure it is mixed well just how much static electricity i might be creating. Mixing leftover of last container with new container, usually bought same batch. I know whenever I drive an electric scissor lift around in a building accross carpet, it creates static electricity. Ouch!

So storing powder in a fireproof fire cabinet is dangerous? Dang it. I wonder sometimes when I'm swishing around a bottle of powder making sure it is mixed well just how much static electricity i might be creating. Mixing leftover of last container with new container, usually bought same batch. I know whenever I drive an electric scissor lift around in a building accross carpet, it creates static electricity. Ouch!
Storing powder in a metal safety cabinet like is commonly used in chem labs is quite alright and they can be readily grounded. An old non working refrigerator or freezer is great for this and they can be obtained for free.

How come powder kernels stick the side of the bottle? Isn't that static?

What ever you store it in, make sure labeled properly.

Pretty hard to eliminate all static electricity. Less is still better.
Try holding your powder bottle while grounding.

As an aside my reason to repackage was I was interested in selling a couple kegs, but wanted to hold some back if it wouldn't be a deal breaker. Not having an empty powder bottles I looked for alternatives. Decided to try a dry empty rubbing alcohol bottle. The plastic funnel I used to pour the powder from a bottle into the alcohol bottle had grains sticking to it. When I poured the powder back into its proper container the alcohol bottle was a clean as it could be. I wonder if because of the flammable nature of rubbing alcohol that the suppliers use bottles with an anti-static additive.

ALL my 2F,3F,and 4F is in GOEX metal containers....UMmmmmm, wonder if its time to worry......I DO keep fresh ''anti static '' dryer sheets in the box and on my powder horn ....I tie a piece of sheet on spout and back horn swivel while in the woods or at the range.
The smokeless stuff, not so much.

ALL my 2F,3F,and 4F is in GOEX metal containers....UMmmmmm, wonder if its time to worry......I DO keep fresh ''anti static '' dryer sheets in the box and on my powder horn ....I tie a piece of sheet on spout and back horn swivel while in the woods or at the range.
The smokeless stuff, not so much.
This is good practice when dealing with metal.
"Transferring a flammable from one metal container to another may result in static electrical sparks. To prevent the build up of static electricity and prevent sparks from causing a fire, it is important to bond metal dispensing and receiving containers together before pouring."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brady1988
Back