Powder options for inline

Aussie_hunter_JD

G'day all,

Firstly, looking for powder recommendations for my TC triumph. I've always ran alliant black mz which is no longer made and they don't import the new blue mz into Australia. Whitehots and BH209 also doesn't get imported. I spoke to the aussie distributor and apparently hodgdon have recently decided not to sell in australia anymore. I'm at the point where I'm not sure what's even left other than real black powder? Any suggestions?

Also, if anyone does run real BP through an inline how does it perform? I'm assuming I'll need a larger charge if I want the same velocity I was getting out of my 110gn black mz?

Blackhorn 209 made by western powders out of Miles city Montana. Started using two years ago, 110 grains with hornady sabot, very happy with results.

Read the post thought you were looking for powder ideas didnt think you liberals down under could have guns anymore

I used to use American pioneer, but it's no longer available. After that was all used up got 777 cuz it is everywhere. But it is a lot dirtier then American pioneer was. If anyone finds something that shoots good and cleans easy I would love to try it.

I used to use American pioneer, but it's no longer available. After that was all used up got 777 cuz it is everywhere. But it is a lot dirtier then American pioneer was. If anyone finds something that shoots good and cleans easy I would love to try it.

The alliant stuff I had always burned nice and clean. If the blue mz is anything like it's probably worth a try.

777 is owned by Hodgdon so it's off the list.

I called all the distributors and it looks as though FFG is my only option. I'm told the US companies decided it was too far and too little volume to bother with.

I can get hornady monoflex projectiles though which is good. That with 120-150 grains of FFG will surely pull up a buffalo.

Curious why you're using the muzzleloader.. Just for preference or the experience, or does it have to do with some firearm regulation?

You don't have many options. Nothing wrong with using real BP. It's dirty and low powered but it works good otherwise. It has a lower temp ignition, so it should always fire off with your 209 primer.

I'm curious too. Why muzzleloader season? There's a lot of good reasons here to use a muzzleloader but how about you?

The alliant stuff I had always burned nice and clean. If the blue mz is anything like it's probably worth a try.

777 is owned by Hodgdon so it's off the list.

I called all the distributors and it looks as though FFG is my only option. I'm told the US companies decided it was too far and too little volume to bother with.

I can get hornady monoflex projectiles though which is good. That with 120-150 grains of FFG will surely pull up a buffalo.
Did a quick look for the blue Mz to see where I could get some to try. Does it only come in pellets? I hunt muzzleloader in CO and cannot use pellets, it has to be loose. We can use pellets here in Iowa, but I like consistency. Thanks for the suggestion!

With a couple of exceptions in NSW which has a few of bow only state forests Australia doesn't have weapon specific seasons or locations.

I just hunt bow, muzzleloader and rifle based on what I feel like. I'll take my rifle for the trophy bull but I'm planning on hunting a second animal so thought I could try something different. The challenge is powder though, I can't fly it so need to be able to get some where I fly into the same as what I can get here locally.

Reactions: LCH
Did a quick look for the blue Mz to see where I could get some to try. Does it only come in pellets? I hunt muzzleloader in CO and cannot use pellets, it has to be loose. We can use pellets here in Iowa, but I like consistency. Thanks for the suggestion!

Not sure man, I've only looked on their website haven't done any more research than that.

If you can find Alliant Black MZ, try it. I used 777 for a long time and Black is much better. I use it under a 395-grain Power Belt and deer do not slow it up much. I was afraid that they were going to get rid of it, so I bought another pound. I should be good for life, as long as I keep this load and my scope doesn't fail.

Blackhorn burns clean you will not be dissapointed i know you cant use sabots in colorado i have not used it with a powerbelt. Colorado law is b.s. there is no difference between a sabot and powerbelt.

If you can find Alliant Black MZ, try it. I used 777 for a long time and Black is much better. I use it under a 395-grain Power Belt and deer do not slow it up much. I was afraid that they were going to get rid of it, so I bought another pound. I should be good for life, as long as I keep this load and my scope doesn't fail.

Did you mean 295gr? There isn't a Powerbelt 395gr.

Blackhorn burns clean you will not be dissapointed i know you cant use sabots in colorado i have not used it with a powerbelt. Colorado law is b.s. there is no difference between a sabot and powerbelt.

Sure there is. A Powerbelt is a full bore bullet that touches the bore. A sabot bullet is one size smaller as in a .50 cal sabot is a .45 cal bullet and doesn't touch the bore at any time.

How can you say they're the same? Conicals are legal in Colorado. A Powerbelt is a conical. A saboted bullet isn't.

I use the power belt platinum aero tip 300 grains with 100 grains of 777. I have never had a whitetail go more then 5-10 yards. I had an elk go about 30 yards last year. I just don’t like how dirty it is compared to the American Pioneer I used to use. It was literally 1 wet patch, 1 dry patch, 1 patch with bore butter and I was done.

I use the power belt platinum aero tip 300 grains with 100 grains of 777. I have never had a whitetail go more then 5-10 yards. I had an elk go about 30 yards last year. I just don’t like how dirty it is compared to the American Pioneer I used to use. It was literally 1 wet patch, 1 dry patch, 1 patch with bore butter and I was done.

You should try BH 209. You can take 50 shots with no swabbing, it doesn't absorb moisture, and is the most accurate powder we can use for muzzleloaders.

Back