PEAX Equipment

POW silvers/blacktails

IDHunters

My buddy and I are starting to plan a trip to POW in the fall of 2007. We are thinking mid-late September with the goal of hitting the silver run and hunting a few blacktails. It would be DIY.

Anybody have any info they would like to share? I know the silver run is good at that time, but how about the blacktail hunting? Is POW crowded with deer hunters? Is there a place in POW or Ketchikan to rent a suburban or pickup?

Any help or advice would be appreciated!
Thanks.

Hope this helps

My room mate HONDO did it this year. Send him a private message and I know he will give you all the info he has and there is a ton of it. You could also do a search of this site for all his posts and get some info from those but he killed a nice a bear and his uncle killed a brute.
good luck.
We live in idaho falls now and I will be moving to AK later this year.

Hey thanks guys. Our plan is to fly into ketchikan and ferry over. We will check out all the various options. Sounds like lots of bear hunting.....anybody hunted deer on POW?

Hi I live in hollis on pow about 2 miles from were you will come in on the ferry sep is great deer hunting early sep is best but you will have to work for them . they hang out in the alpine mostly so you will have to hike about 2 to four hours to get into good hunting and they usualy are out feeding from day break till about 9 or 10 in the morning then they head for the brush . I recomend camping up high so are up there at day light . you also have to watch the weather when a low comes in you can't see nothin but if you hit it right its a blast somtimes i'll see thiry buck in one morning . dont normaly see many other people ether . as far as silvers go they are'nt runing very strong on the hollis side till late sept the craig side will be going strong though the klawock river should have silvers all of sept but it gets pretty crowded . there are numerus other rivers to fish though there are lots of charter boats in craig . vehicles can be hard to come by in sep I would try wilderness car rental 907-826-5200 I rent out a package cabin suv and skiff in hollis but not just a vehicle .I have a few pics on webshots of the alpine and one nice buck if you would like to take a look i think this link will take you there . http://community.webshots.com/user/hollisbay

Boat hunter
Thanks for the info! Nice pics, where in the heck did you find an elk? We may be interested in renting your cabin package. We are thinking of being on POW for 8-10 days. How far is Craig from Holils?

Thanks again, we may be in touch. Please feel free to post or PM any other info you may think is important! Let me know if I can help you out in Idaho or Wyoming!

The elk is on etolin island about four miles east of cofman cove pow. craig is 28 miles from hollis klacock is about 21 thanks for the offer i went down to wyoming last nov had a great time them white tail are some spooky compared to our black tail me and my wife got a couple a small four point though

IDHunters, I went with boat hunter last fall and had a blast. He has a great set up. I would recommend it to anybody. My uncle is actually headed up to stay with him in a couple weeks to hunt bear. The silver fishing on the Klawock river in September is unreal. It is impossible to not have a good time on P.O.W. this time of year.

ya moosie I think we did talk a little last year are you thinkin of coming up .
hondo thanks for the recomendation glad you guys had fun lookin forward to meetin your uncle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back