Potential Duck Stamp Changes

MNDeerHunter

Interesting proposal - my first thoughts are that this is a positive way to get the non-hunting community throwing some money into the conservation game. Duck hunters will still contribute to the majority of stamp sales since they are required to by law.

I can see why artists would be irritated (which is pretty selfish of them IMO). But curious of your guys thoughts on this?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/07/u...mp-could-an-oriole-help-raise-more-money.html

As a duck hunter and DU member, it doesnt offend me. But I'm not sure it's a good tactic to raise funds. Many hunters buy extra stamps to collect since you have to sign them for hunting. Extra stamps that don't get used for hunting are part of the idea, right?

As I see it, and it has been mentioned in several different places, non-consumptive users of these lands need to start ponying up a share for management, improvement, and acquisition of refuges BUT I highly doubt including non waterfowl will do anything to improve sales of Duck Stamps.

I could honestly care less if they put a pterodactyl on it...I sign it, put it in my pocket, and throw it away after the season. If they do it, I'll be surprised if they sell more than 3 stamps to non-hunters.

The duck hunters will still buy it and maybe a few more bird watchers. It can't be a bad thing to pull a few more buyers in.

I outright oppose the idea. It's a "migratory waterfowl stamp", a long time tradition not only for the protection of waterfowl but also for the artists who vie for the honor of having their work chosen for the stamp. A use fee or any other way to collect a pound of flesh should be investigated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back