MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Post Rut Bulls- How Important is Water?

Bam Bam

I am an avid hunter, but this will be my first elk season here in Wyoming. I am heading out this weekend to scout my area (elevation up to 9600 feet) for the "sanctuary areas" that Randy Newberg describes. Should I be really focused on looking for water seeps and springs? I am not sure how dependent post rut bulls are on having water close by. I really would like to know if the bulls simply won't hole up in areas without a good water source, so that I can focus on areas that will be more productive to re-visit during October and November. Thanks guys! This forum of old grumpy men has really helped the offseason lull for me this year. :)

Especially at High altitude, there are little hidden seeps and ponds on the north facing sides of these alpine ridges, that you never know about until you stumble on them. Water in many cases is not the limiting factor.

This is the water hole 50 yards from where I killed my 2015 bull in Wyoming. I couldn't even see it on Google earth when I dropped a pin. The drainage was covered with little potholes like this. but it was 1.5 miles from the government trail in a hanging valley with one way in and one way out. There were plenty of ribcages and backbones in the saddle that told me when weather hit that was their route, and plenty of hunters before me had killed there. .

1657144993452.jpeg

The most limiting factor is distance from areas of high hunter traffic and degree of difficulty to access. I'm talking the deepest darkest timber in the bottom of canyons with no trails to them. Places where access is blocked for you by private land but they just stroll through. Think 6 miles to get around a 640 acre tract to even see where they are bedded. Cliffy steep north facing slopes with benches scream "elky" to me. Often times it's just private land.

Especially at High altitude, there are little hidden seeps and ponds on the north facing sides of these alpine ridges, that you never know about until you stumble on them. Water in many cases is not the limiting factor.

This is the water hole 50 yards from where I killed my 2015 bull in Wyoming. I couldn't even see it on Google earth when I dropped a pin. The drainage was covered with little potholes like this. but it was 1.5 miles from the government trail in a hanging valley with one way in and one way out. There were plenty of ribcages and backbones in the saddle that told me when weather hit that was their route, and plenty of hunters before me had killed there. .

View attachment 228919

The most limiting factor is distance from areas of high hunter traffic and degree of difficulty to access. I'm talking the deepest darkest timber in the bottom of canyons with no trails to them. Places where access is blocked for you by private land but they just stroll through. Think 6 miles to get around a 640 acre tract to even see where they are bedded. Cliffy steep north facing slopes with benches scream "elky" to me. Often times it's just private land.
Looks like a beautiful spot

In my experience it seems they water at night during the post rut plus it is not as hot. Elk don't mind traveling a long distance to water and can go along time without drinking as much when it is cooler. They perfer having a food source, water and cover in nasty hard to reach places where they don't have to risk traveling. Like I said this is my observation where I have hunted but there are many more experienced elk killers that may have a different experience/more knowledge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back