PEAX Equipment

Poor mans Bullet Puller

grizzly63

So I wanted to pull the bullets out of 28 300WM rounds, dump the powder, put different powder in and reseat the bullets. They were crimped in place with a Lee Final Crimp die. I believe in these dies. I never use to much force but want to know they are not moving. I do not have a bullet puller short of those vise grips that do not leave the bullet in re-seatable condition. Necessity is the mother of invention, right? I took a one inch piece of clear vinyl tubing with a 1/4 ID and placed it in a pair of fencing pliers I had acquired at an auction in a misc box. Raised the bullet in the press until the case was just below the top, pushed the tube down to the case lip, squeezed the plier real good and pushed the press arm down and bingo ! A nice re-seatable clean bullet ready for reloading. Dumped the powder, put in new powder and reseated the bullets. I did take two of the pulled bullets and spun them up in a cordless drill to check for distortion with no discernible wobble. Got a chance to look at any indentation the first round of final crimp die may have caused. Very minimal. In the age of hard to find components, this is a good thing.

So I wanted to pull the bullets out of 28 300WM rounds, dump the powder, put different powder in and reseat the bullets. They were crimped in place with a Lee Final Crimp die. I believe in these dies. I never use to much force but want to know they are not moving. I do not have a bullet puller short of those vise grips that do not leave the bullet in re-seatable condition. Necessity is the mother of invention, right? I took a one inch piece of clear vinyl tubing with a 1/4 ID and placed it in a pair of fencing pliers I had acquired at an auction in a misc box. Raised the bullet in the press until the case was just below the top, pushed the tube down to the case lip, squeezed the plier real good and pushed the press arm down and bingo ! A nice re-seatable clean bullet ready for reloading. Dumped the powder, put in new powder and reseated the bullets. I did take two of the pulled bullets and spun them up in a cordless drill to check for distortion with no discernible wobble. Got a chance to look at any indentation the first round of final crimp die may have caused. Very minimal. In the age of hard to find components, this is a good thing.
😂

I have an inertia puller, do not really care for it and the force it takes to removes bullets tends to deform the tips. Not to mention the ugly powder mess. My idea only works on long seated bullets but I'm OK with that.

I have an inertia puller, do not really care for it and the force it takes to removes bullets tends to deform the tips. Not to mention the ugly powder mess. My idea only works on long seated bullets but I'm OK with that.
Add an extra bit of foam at the bottom of inertia puller if it's deforming bullet tips. Find a cheap plastic coffee cup at Goodwill store and heat the rim till you can reform it into a spout. Dump the powder and bullet from inertia puller into cup, fish out the bullets, and pour powder into hopper or container.

Depending on the age of the shells and the conditions it was stored in, corrosion can actually cause the bullets to ‘stick’ to the case. If that’s the case, It’s almost easier to use you press to break the bullets free by seating them just a hair deeper and then pull the bullets.

I'd personally just get the Hornady inertia bullet puller. It has foam in the bottom to prevent deforming tips, and it's not hard to separate bullets from powder.

Put a cotton ball in the base of the puller. Works great!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back