Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Poking holes in Wally

squirrel

tempImageuCtQTz.jpgtempImagee5rcx4.jpgA very interesting week. Usually takes 3 days to figure out the lake in any given year, this year it took... yep 3 days. Pretty amazing 10' thick thermocline thick as pea soup 19-20"Wally everywhere at 14' at the upper edge, zero vis till 25' and lots of 23-25" Wally at the lower fade into a crystal clear and brutally cold lower layer. Upper fish would come in droves lower fish were almost always solo's slipping in to see what was intruding. Gotta love these southern "trash fish" with the white tipped fins!tempImagehPfZfq.jpg

Last edited:
I did not know there was a place to do such a thing for walleye, that is awesome- those are nice fish! Are they pretty spooky, or fairly approachable underwater?

I did not know there was a place to do such a thing for walleye, that is awesome- those are nice fish! Are they pretty spooky, or fairly approachable underwater?
You can do it anywhere with a line. I have used a stiff ice fishing rod with a jig and crawler. And yes, they are extremely approachable. Been successful on big green and green bay

That's pretty cool! Looking at doing the same in Lake Champlain. One the side topic of diving, have you been to Chazy Reef? I was surprised to learn Lake Champlain holds the oldest reef in the world. Hopefully, I'll learn the skill to spear walleyes while exploring the reef.

I went snorkel "free diving" in MT Seeley area spearing pike... That was the hook that set scuba into motion.

Your thread has brought this venture to the forefront. Thanks! Now off to spend $ on additional equipment. Haha!

In the south they worship God, bass, and nascar. Not in any particular order. You can shoot trash fish, and Wally is trash, go figure.

Wally is the alpha predator he comes to you, checks you out (to see if you are edible) and leaves cause I'm too fat. You have that one circle to see, judge, (18" min. and difficult to catch /release after he's skewered), and make the shot.

Cats, crappie, white bass, stripers, etc. all have their own behavioural patterns leading to slightly different hunting techniques. Wally is ALWAYS a creature of the thermocline, find the thermo and you are where you need to be, then you need to find what is currently holding Wally's interest, cover, food, bottom type. It is a puzzle you have to figure out, while freezing and trying not to get tangled in trot lines.

Spookiest fish = stripers
Most challenging= XL cats
Friendliest= bass
Dinner= Wally

In the south they worship God, bass, and nascar. Not in any particular order. You can shoot trash fish, and Wally is trash, go figure.

Wally is the alpha predator he comes to you, checks you out (to see if you are edible) and leaves cause I'm too fat. You have that one circle to see, judge, (18" min. and difficult to catch /release after he's skewered), and make the shot.

Cats, crappie, white bass, stripers, etc. all have their own behavioural patterns leading to slightly different hunting techniques. Wally is ALWAYS a creature of the thermocline, find the thermo and you are where you need to be, then you need to find what is currently holding Wally's interest, cover, food, bottom type. It is a puzzle you have to figure out, while freezing and trying not to get tangled in trot lines.

Spookiest fish = stripers
Most challenging= XL cats
Friendliest= bass
Dinner= Wally

Back