Caribou Gear Tarp

Planning sitka blacktail hunt

I sent you an email fish slap with some information that might give Ya some direction.

I really appreciate that. I didn't see it in my PMs or email. My email is [email protected] if you don't mind resending.

Thanks for all the info on here. This is something I'm definitely doing in 2016. I need to burn my CO deer points this year and after 4 years the wife is demanding a honeymoon!

If you want the best dates, you may want to get a deposit sent in soon.I know on POW, I've found tough going finding a rental for dates I want this year.I did find one but did a ton of emails finding it

I have been wanting to do a blacktail hunt for a couple years now. I have been looking at going to POW as it seems easier logistically. I would fly into Ketchikan and either ferry or fly to POW then rent a vehicle. I would like to hunt backpack hunt the alpine. I still need to talk to a biologist but thought I could ask a few questions here first. The season opens August 16th. Is the opener too early to go, would early Sept. be better? I had read that the deer on POW suffered a rough winter a couple years ago. How has the populations been doing? What make one mountain better habitat then the next when trying to zero in on an area? Is there much pressure in the early season up high?

Any answers to these questions or general advice would be much appreciated. Also, if you have any suggestions on a good read for planning this hunt.

Last edited:
I have been wanting to do a blacktail hunt for a couple years now. I have been looking at going to POW as it seems easier logistically. I would fly into Ketchikan and either ferry or fly to POW then rent a vehicle. I would like to hunt backpack hunt the alpine. I still need to talk to a biologist but thought I could ask a few questions here first. The season opens August 16th. Is the opener too early to go, would early Sept. be better? I had read that the deer on POW suffered a rough winter a couple years ago. How has the populations been doing? What make one mountain better habitat then the next when trying to zero in on an area? Is there much pressure in the early season up high?

Any answers to these questions or general advice would be much appreciated. Also, if you have any suggestions on a good read for planning this hunt.

I'll add an additional question.. How about renting a truck in Ketchikan and bringing it over to POW on the ferry? Anybody do this? Probably more expensive, but maybe a way to get around a rental shortage on POW.

the cost of the ferry will out weigh the savings by a long shot. you will do fine if you get above the alpine line in sept. they dont move down till rut as a general rule of course food will play a big part,

I've hunted Kodiak 5X now, the first with Homer Ocean Charters. The last four pics on the bottom page of their Deer Hunting page shows our results. I'm the guy in the beanie with the monster buck, got him on the last day, last hour.
Homer hunts the same areas week after week, so you'll need to go way high and way far to get a nice one.
After that I did DIY hunts including harvesting a 350" Caribou.
Deer are on the way back, I know if I went to "My Spot", I'd limit out in 2-3 days.

Have fun!!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omcqueen
Back