Planning Alaska hunts

wyomingtim

I am in teh long term stage of planning for an Alaska hunt. I guess I am interested in good experiences, guided vs. unguided info, best species to go after, etc. I have never been to Alaska, but I can't wait. I am considering Moose, Caribou, bear (unsure which, but dreaming of Kodiak), sheep, and probably wolf if I am in a place to.

I too would love to do the Alaska hunt. I have had that as a dream for some time now. It will come in due time for me. Every year I am closer and closer to living my dream.

Tim,

That's quite a wide range of hunting options you mentioned.

Just to once more point out the obvious (hey, I'm good for something!)...

Brown/Grizzly Bears, Dall Sheep, and Mountain Goat require guides for non-resident hunters. It's a lame law, I know. As many "lower 48" hunters have more experience than the average Alaskan local.

When considering a "Guided Hunt", remember your looking at approx $10,000 for Brown Bear and Sheep, maybe less for Mt Goats.

A "do-it-yourself" hunt for Caribou and Black Bear is a good option. I don't know a lot about those hunts though. Lilbiggun post here from time to time, he speaks well of an outfitter from Soldatna.

A Fall Black Bear/Blacktail Deer hunt in S.E. Alaska is probably the most affordable hunt going these days. If you have a varmint caller, you may even get a chance at a wolf.

The obvious choice is to hire an outfitter who hunts from a boat. That should include some good halibut and crabbing oppurtunities. Another thought is to bring a truck with a camper (or well set up "topper" with big tent) and get on the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry out of Bellingham Wa. Take the ferry to Ketchikan, get off, then catch another ferry to Prince of Wales Island (yes, that's part of the U.S.) and hunt the extensive road system for Black Bears and Blacktails.

You'll experience a "mini-cruise" up part of the Inside Passage (the ferry's have basic cabins) and get to hunt some awesome country!

Just some thoughts...

I have been a couple of times.....the last was around '96.......and I swore I was going back every year.

Was going last year on a Dall hunt, but I met an Outfitter in Wyo and opted to get the Wyo left over cow tag instead......dumb choice I know! :rolleyes:

Well, I have already put plans into motion for a Dall sheep hunt this next August with my brother who lives in Alaska.

It will be a long wait until August!
DS

Tim,
If it will be your first hunt up here I would go after an animal thats Kinda easier (term is used loosely, trust me). Like BW said, I use Talon air out of soldotna, they do a real good job.
I say go after an easy animal because up here. hunting is totally different than the lower 48. Mother nature is a mean SOB and can hit you hard. It kinda breaks you in to alaska hunting, because once you get up here to hunt, you will be back.
This year I brought a couple friends up from Michigan to hunt. they are expierianced hunters, (mi and out west) and they told me that it was nothing like they ever imagined. I gave them all this gear to take along and they were thinking like "no way, I wont need this". they used it alland were grateful.
I know in wyoming the terrain and weather can get bad but believe me, you best be prepared.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back