Pine Ridge deer hunt

brian flatlander

Wondering about deer numbers. Would be hunting public land during muzzleloader season. I here it gets a lot of pressure during firearms season. Wondering if it gets all shot up and deer move to private.

I lived in that area from 2010-17. The hunting used to be really good in 2010 and then there was a huge die off from blue tongue I believe in 11-12. Things continued to decline over the next few years and I took 18 and 19 off. I was not planning on hunting this year but some friends wanted to go so I joined up with them.

They must have had some really bad winters over there are there is not much for wildlife.

Over around Crawford there used to be antelope all over the private, on the fort, the grasslands, and walk in. I did not see a single antelope after covering a lot of country.

I also did not see any turkeys as they are usually all over the place, especially on the private ag fields. Not a single one around crawford, I did see a few tracks closer to chadron in one spot. Normally you can turn on Table rd and there are hundreds sitting on those private fields, i didn't see a single one there.

Deer wise I covered all the usual spots I have hunted in the past and could not turn up a buck. Only around a dozen does on what used to be the best public hunting in the area.

Something has simply killed off much of the wildlife in that area, likely hard winters. I'd give it a few years, and watch the tag #'s in the area. Once they start going back up you will have more fun as right now it's pretty depressing to see how things are.

Its a zoo in bow season so i imagin it will be in muzzy also, better places avaliable and i am never deer hunting it again.

Hunted on private near Crawford from 2004 to 2012. Had some pretty good success over the years. Definately went down hill quality wise though. Used to be able to wait a bit to buy over the counter tag now I hear they sell out in one day. Also kept in touch with the neighboring land owners and they say the deer are pretty much gone....

Back