Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Pike and Bass...

Sytes

I feel like the wind up to archery season... Getting excited - getting everything tuned up - etc.

Same with PIKE AND BASS. I am amped and ready to play. More Montana NW. Missoula area to Eureka area. Great times. Flathead river, Salmon, Echo / Abbott - playing around at Murphy and Sophie a bit as well.

Small mouth Bass are out of this world in Flathead river. Fun as heck! The pike AKA mini aligators... fantastic fights.

Sooooo,

Jerk bait to start? Maybe - some tailed tube's? Slow moving bass are prob the choice feed of pike atm... I suppose top water and running rapala's would be a bit to much this early?

I also fly fish for the pike... where there are trout, I use a "Bite Me" rainbow streamer type fly (Thanks Neil).

Need some tips... anyone have any suggestions for pike or bass - early season?

Probably no help at all considering the geographical difference, but I like a spinnerbait for bass in early spring. I look for a windward shore with shallow water on a sunny day and roll that spinnerbait by slooow. Seems to be more of a reaction bite. Don't know how it would work for Smallmouth though.

Now, Ive got a question for you. What leaders do you use for pike? I have heard that some of the "super lines" like Power Pro can be used instead of wire.

You finding pike in any shallow stillwater where you can sight fish them?

I wouldn't hesitate throwing big plugs for pike early and working them slow. Another early season favorite for pike is swimming big plastics like 6"-10" senkos, pogo shad, twister tails rigged texas or carolina style.

For line on my pike/catfish rigs I will use something like 50 or 80 lb PowerPro but I will usually cut off about 18" of line every couple of fish as it gets worn pretty quickly (I hate steel leaders).

Steel leaders seem to get all bent out of shape - quickly. I use a 50 lb braided spider wire when going for the pike as my leader for both fly fishing and spin/bait use.

The guy who sells the "Bite Me" streamer flies sells a titanium leader which last 20x's + longer than the steel leaders though they cost an arm and a leg... :( Not really 20x's the value - though feels that way).

On rare occasions I have lost my leader using the braided line though maybe 1-3 times a season? Not bad and much more finesse / presentation ability.

I'll try some slow moving top water action for the snitch and grins of it... I think that has to be the biggest thrill seeing a pike (or bass for that matter) slash that water reaching for the floater.

A friend recommended trying for the rocky bottom areas - shallow 5-15' type clear conditions with some slow moving jerk bait The suspending type minnow/perch/trout... The rocky bottom apparently gathers a bit more warmth...?

I have some 7" watermelon type soft bait I'll give a go with (Thanks Smalls) Twister tails - such as Kalins type - mini bass/shad like slow retreive?

Anyhow look forward to as many good tips as possible. :) Can never learn enough on pike and bass :)

Last edited:
Yep, well I'm going on my first trip to Canada in July and want to be ready for some big pike. I just figured there had to be something other than those bulky off-the-shelf wire leaders.

Yep, well I'm going on my first trip to Canada in July and want to be ready for some big pike. I just figured there had to be something other than those bulky off-the-shelf wire leaders.

I have heard of some serious pike fun in Canada. Make sure to take pics and best of success!

MDCrossbow, The helgramite for fly fishing or is there a larger version of softbait for spin/bait fishing as well? I have not used them though looking them up, they look like a good one!

3ZSROZKRQHJLCL0ZDLHZ6LFLOZXRNL7RTZJL1LYLELFLWLKRJZ7R2LLZTZFLULFLFZMRKH2RKH6RTL6RRHMZOL6R.jpg

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s..._61657_100019000_100000000_100019000_100-19-0 found them at Bass Pro Shop Online.

There are several entries for fly fishing in montana with a helgramite - or a version of... seems they get rave reviews. :) I'll definately try them as it is tough finding fly type deals for the smallmouth, pike, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back