Piebald buck

T.R.

This very interesting buck was taken by my cousin (pictured) in western Van Wert County, Ohio near the Indiana line. None of the locals had ever seen this buck before nor any piebald deer since his hunt. Perhaps just a one of a kind animal or else possibly wandered in from Indiana.

For those interested in details: this buck was taken with a Mossberg 12 gauge pump shooting ordinary Remington slugs. Improved cylinder choke with plain bead for a sight. Shooting distance was about 50 yards. This hunt took place from a ground blind next to a cornfield.

Has anyone else ever viewed a piebald deer?

TR

Lynn K. piebald buck.JPG

This one is from a few years back on one of my neighbor's lawn:
piebald.jpg

and this one is from this past season on the trail cam, only about 3 miles from the pic above. Also have seen a few others, but these are the only two that I have pictures of:

piebald spike.jpg

Never seen a piebald but have seen an albino doe. There is a genetic mutation of some kind in a herd about an hour away from me that we have seen quite a few that have white spots or markings on face or head. This is around a gated mountain community and some wander off onto the national forest around there. I was told there are several other all white ones in that area I’ll look up pictures When I get home tonight. But here is a spike we seen in the area a couple years Ago. The albino doe I referred to I actually seen at night and that thing almost appeared to glow in the dark it Was so White

Attachments

• 495A4EC6-56BD-4F2C-9C3D-A7E2D8FA0ABE.jpeg
    495A4EC6-56BD-4F2C-9C3D-A7E2D8FA0ABE.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 41
  • 9C3FF00F-453F-4FF1-B2AC-C442C1A9B87F.jpeg
    9C3FF00F-453F-4FF1-B2AC-C442C1A9B87F.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 41
  • 8B804537-6CF8-420C-B7B3-3B3EC894F16E.jpeg
    8B804537-6CF8-420C-B7B3-3B3EC894F16E.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 41
I have seen several piebalds over the years and 2 true albino whitetails. We get a few that shows up in the farm every once in a while but none have ever made it past that 1.5 to 2.5 year mark. Seems they always disappear probably taken by neighbors we suspect. They are cool to see.
I really wanted to take a 6 point a few years back but let him walk hoping for one more year on him. He looked like a dalmation dog.

I am just south of you in Mercer county. I have seen one in the wild, not anywhere close to where I hunt at though.

40 years ago growing up in Central Washington, for a few years in a row we had a couple does wandering around, about half brown, half white, looked like a brown Holstein. Saw a buck one morning headed hunting pass through my headlights with the same coloration. Must have been the one doe that had the mutation and passed it on to her offspring, because seems it dwindled off after a few years.

I hunted a property in East NC that had at least one piebald every season. During Muzzy season I actually had a shot on one. MISSED ...Such is hunting, rather than killing.

Every other year in PA deer camp, some oldtimer says that they saw one many years ago... this is right after they say that there used to be a deer behind every tree in Porter County. They have usually had about a half of bottle of wiskey whenever the subject comes up though.

I’ve seen 3 piebald whitetails and 1 albino. Took this picture last season. It will be interesting to watch him grow.

Attachments

• 989A0AEB-57A0-411A-B7A8-70A597362A78.jpeg
    989A0AEB-57A0-411A-B7A8-70A597362A78.jpeg
    663.1 KB · Views: 19
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back