Picking area within a unit?

pasteve

I applied for a colorado tag for unit 24,12,etc for the first rifle season. At this point I'm leaning toward unit 24. This will be my first time for elk and out west. I'm planning to set up a camp near my truck a hike in daily. What are some things I can do to help narrow down an area to hunt? Since I'm coming from pa I won't have the opportunity to put boots on the ground before hand! Thank you

Hunt the eastern part of Unit 12 in that season.Lots of hunters but lots of elk. The Rough Creek drainage to Cyclone park area is great in the first elk season but has some rough terrain,be ready.

Draw circles around all the obvious access points on a map... then avoid everyone of them by 2 miles.

Don't set up and hunt just one spot if you intend to hunt from the truck. Look for spots people will drive by, those spots could be up and over a ridge that requires some effort, or down in a hole. People are lazy,especially in roaded country. Some of the best places I've found to hunt are right near roads, in spots everyone drives by to get to the trailhead or end of the road, ya know those "good spots".

Don't get hung up looking for big pieces of public. Those little slivers or small sections can pay off big.

Good luck!

Back