Caribou Gear Tarp

Paying a moving company worth it?

Under contract on our hopefully last home in Cheyenne, got a great place in the location we were looking for. Unfortunately for us we left behind a 2.9% interest rate and took a big bite of a sh*t sandwich that is the current rates. Oh well, we'll marry the house and divorce the interest rate when the time is right.

Looks like I was able to keep the entire move under $7500. More than I was initially projecting but still way under the cheapest quote for a moving company. Although I think I did more damage to our stuff then they would have. For all of you who said to hire movers, I wish I would have. I am absolutely burnt out on moving crap, was able to thin a lot of stuff out and still in disbelief how we accumulated so much useless crap. Managed to lose my work boots, gave away the wife's hobby table (old butcher block) that she wanted to keep and didn't know it until after I told her I got rid of it, and broke a cabinet glass window in the camper.

Depends how fit you are. My wife & I have moved ourselves three times in that past 16-years using U-haul. 3500+ sqft homes. Nothing damaged and never out of our hands like our game meat!

We decided to just bite the bullet and hire movers for the end of this month. $3300 to move everything out of the old house and into the new, about 130 miles distance. I’ll report back whether or not it was worth it. I think that will depend on if the movers actually get to move our stuff into the new house, or into a storage unit. Then new house STILL isn’t finished being built.

Public Service Announcement: if you order U-Haul pods to move your stuff, just do yourself a favor and order a couple more than whatever they quote you will need. They were adamant that we would need six, when we really needed eight. So we had to hire movers to get the rest of our stuff out of the old house and bring it to our storage unit in our new home town… which cost us $1400.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back