Pasties!

So do you think they would make a decent after a day hunting meal?

Short answer: YES!
My wife makes hearty delicious elk, antelope and beef pasties, which are a main staple with many nutritious tasty ingredients to savor after a long day hunting. Easy to warm up, they go well with a red wine or a cold brew of any choice.

Muldoons is a good place to stop for them. Solid choice!
So do you think they would make a decent after a day hunting meal?
I wish I would have bought several of the frozen pasties at Muldoons just for that reason. Get home, throw them in the oven, put your gear away and enjoy a hot, warming the entire body, meal. I am going to try and make some on my own.
The ones I end up with might taste good butwon’t look very appetizing! Devon Deer has some beautiful pasties! (I’m sure Cushman can take that quote and run with it)

The annual pasty feed in Mullan, ID is something to not miss... and the correct answers are rutabaga and gravy. Turnips will work in a pinch, but ketchup is sacrilege.

I wish I would have bought several of the frozen pasties at Muldoons just for that reason. Get home, throw them in the oven, put your gear away and enjoy a hot, warming the entire body, meal. I am going to try and make some on my own.
The ones I end up with might taste good butwon’t look very appetizing! Devon Deer has some beautiful pasties! (I’m sure Cushman can take that quote and run with it)
These Jean Kays pasties are the best in Marquette in my opinion and are as good as Muldoons. The owners name is Brian(still wears an apron). He ships these all over the US via Fed Ex. He is a hunter and was a co owner of a hunting camp with my uncle. My uncle passed away a number of years ago. He was a Wildlife Management Biology Professor. There were quite a few wildlife research projects based out of that camp. Combining a wildlife professor, someone that can prepare food like Brian, and a bunch of university students pre and post grad made for some great adventures and knowledge passage between all that were present.

If you do not have the time or the energy to make your pasties and are craving them, here is the link that could probably help you out.

Recipe for pastry part? I really want to make my own variations of this. They make good on the go meals plus you can freeze them.

I've for some reason gotten away from them, but used to make them by the bushel when I was going to Montana Tech in Butte a lifetime ago. I think I may revisit them this weekend! And the chili jam looks to be an excellent option - other than that...gravy.

Oh and just to clear things up: these are pronounced like "Pass-tees", the strip club cover ups are pronounced "Pace-tees" (or so I've heard :sneaky:)

1 rutabaga
5 potatoes
3 carrots
Onion
S and p to taste
1604408205358.jpeg
1 lb burger ( I used burger from a steer we had butchered out of last years calves)
1/2 lb sausage
sliver Of real salted butter
The crust was
1 cup lard
1 cup ice water
3 cups flour

1604408422153.jpeg

rolled, sealed, edges trimmed, holes poked in top
1604408599336.jpeg

Between making the dough, cutting the veggies,and putting together it took about 3 hours. I covered them and will bake tonight. I looked at a lot of recipes and they were all very similar. Here is the one I followed mostly. https://m.facebook.com/notes/yooper-pasty/yooper-pasties-for-six/1394192437259182/

1 rutabaga
5 potatoes
3 carrots
Onion
S and p to taste
View attachment 160580
1 lb burger ( I used burger from a steer we had butchered out of last years calves)
1/2 lb sausage
sliver Of real salted butter
The crust was
1 cup lard
1 cup ice water
3 cups flour

View attachment 160581

rolled, sealed, edges trimmed, holes poked in top
View attachment 160582

Between making the dough, cutting the veggies,and putting together it took about 3 hours. I covered them and will bake tonight. I looked at a lot of recipes and they were all very similar. Here is the one I followed mostly. https://m.facebook.com/notes/yooper-pasty/yooper-pasties-for-six/1394192437259182/
Mine are getting better and the recipe is very similar to that Facebook one. Except mine doesn't have water, do you know what that does?

Attachments

• 20210220_185531.jpg
    20210220_185531.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Mine are getting better and the recipe is very similar to that Facebook one. Except mine doesn't have water, do you know what that does?
Thats beautiful! The water was in the crust. It was really simple to make and almost all crust recipes I looked at had water in them, they varied on the temperature with some saying ice cold, cold, or room temperature.

Obviously, I’m a little bias here, but my wife makes the best Pasties....at least in my opinion. I’ve tried lots of Pasties but none compare. Her grandmother owned a Pastie shop in Ontonagon way back when and she has the recipe. She will spend almost an entire day preparing and baking them and they’ll be consumed in short order by the family. The recipe is a secret, she says. I’ve tried to get her to open a Pastie shop however neither of us are business people.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back