PEAX Equipment

Pagosa Springs CO: Pack in/out recommendations?

brianaernst

BLUF: I'm looking for any advice/recommendations for hiring someone with horses/mules to pack a small group of guys into the back-country "near" Pagosa Springs, CO for an archery hunt this September.

I've been doing some (a lot) research for my first Archery Elk hunt and I've found some areas I really like the looks of. However, they are WAY back and up high. Getting an elk out of that area on our backs doesn't sound like a responsible option (not necessarily due to the effort required, but time....I'd sure hate for meat to spoil).

I'm an experienced backpacker, outdoors-man, and hunter (just not western hunting!) with all the necessary gear for a 7-10 day hunt. I considered a drop camp, but I'd just rather do it myself. I'm completely hooked on elk hunting (my first hunt was last year with a rifle, 2nd season, Unit 15) and I'm addicted to figuring these things out. I love the planning, reading maps, reading books, visualizing, and then learning on the ground. I can't wait!

Greatly appreciate any and all comments/feedback!

Cheers.

I'd contact Dick or Mike Ray at Lobo Outfitters in pagoda. I don't know if they do that sort of thing, but it never hurts to ask. They are totally honest and trust worthy. GJ

I've used Denny with Big Corral in Vallecito to pack out of the Weminuche before. His crew and stock were great.

After you get the meat out, bring it to Hometown Market in Pagosa. They will do an excellent job, $200 for an Elk, cut wrapped and quick frozen.

Back