Packing boned out meat w/ load shelf

Is there a certain/required order in which pieces you pack out first? Does it matter? Which piece(s) do you prefer to pack out first. Just thinking that if I get an elk this year.

That's all up to personal preference. For me, ideally, I like to take a heavy load first trip, then depending on how many trips I have to take, loads get progressively lighter with the number of trips. But, there's been plenty of times where a shot a last light means I'm pulling out for camp with the first trip well after dark... those times mean a really light load to get some sleep, then come back in the morning for a real heavy load... totally depends on person/situation.

Is there a certain/required order in which pieces you pack out first? Does it matter? Which piece(s) do you prefer to pack out first. Just thinking that if I get an elk this year.

It kind of depends on the terrain and distance you are going to be dealing with on the pack out as well as what all you have in your pack when you knock it down. Also the size of the animal. For me a smaller bull can come out in 4 loads but on a big bull it is going to be 5 loads especially if I am taking out the cape.

My first load is usually the backstraps, tenderloins, neck roasts. Depending on how far of a packout it is, and how heavy of a pack I started with I might end up moving some of the loose meat into the second load. I am generally deboning the front shoulders and I can get both front shoulders in one load. Hindquarters then are at the end and are relatively easy. I can add the rack on a smaller bull with the last hindquarter coming out and be done in 4 trips. On a big bull the rack and cape come out on the last load by themselves.

I'm sure there are about 100 different ways to do it.

Those SG load cells are great for packing your food in as well. I've had 10 days stuffed in mine, held in the shelf for the pack in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back