Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Pack Rifle

use your existing rifle and spend the money on better boots, pack, or optics.

T Bone;

I think I am solid with my boots, pack, and optics as far as (scope).
Right now I am rocking a Barneys external frame, Cabelas Alaska hunter boots, and a Leopold VX-3 4.5-14x40mm scope, wiggys 0degree bag, and Exped syn-mat 7 pad. Where I know I need to improve is with my range finder, spotting scope, and binos. I am partial to Leopold due to the fact that my father gets a pretty hefty discount on one of their products each year for being a hunters safety instructor. How do yall fell Leopold's products measure up incomparrison to the big three Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss. Am I really missing out on much quality of product and crispness of view...? Also any other suggestions on where and what I can do to further refine my gear system?

I own 2 Kimbers. A 1911 and an 84L Select grade in 30-06. My 84L is a killer, shoots sub-MOA with just about everything I have fed it.

I had an issue with my 1911, it is a 2005 model when they still had the external extractor. I had some feeding issues with it, and they had me send it to their custom shop. The manager called me and told me they put on a new slide, upgraded my grip safety to an Ed Brown (for no charge), and functions checked it with a 150 rnd mix of every type of hollow point they had. I had it back in two weeks, and it now has over 5000 rnds through it flawlessly. I have heard alot of negative comments about their rifles, but my experience has been awesome. I hope whatever issues they had are resolved, because a lightweight 300 wsm is on my list, and the Montana is the current front runner.

ZR1

As far as the optics go, I'm a Leica junkie. I sold optics for three years. For my eyes, they are the best money can buy. Leupold makes nice optics, but IMO they don't really stack up at the upper end. The Gold Ring are great optics for the money, but before you go out and buy a $2000 pair of binos, look at them for yourself and see what suites your eyes! Optics can be very subjective. That being said, the Leica CRF range finders are IMO Head and Shoulders above any other range finder in that size and price range. For my eyes, the big difference between Leupold and Lieca comes in three places; Color Fidelity, Center to edge clarity, and low light performance.

I have a 12-40X60 Gold Ring Spotter, I like it for what it is, but performance above 35x does fall off noticeably. I just can't justify the $2-4K on a new piece of glass at this point. In the price bracket that Leupold is in, they are tough to beat. That being said, it is ultimately your call if the performance is worth the price.

Name a rifle manufacture that doesn't have issues... Seems so many jump on the hater wagon with Kimber because they paid more for the weapon so expect it to some how be perfect? I've had my share of dogs made by the "Big 3" and have had some really nice ones as well.

I don't have much experience with Kimber, only purchased a rifle about a year ago. I've read plenty about the issues that they've had, but haven't seen much recently. I generally read little into negative comments and research things on my own.

Your scope will work with many different calibers/cartridge combos. If it was set specifically for a 300 mag, what bullet weight and manufacture, speed, BC, etc? They all shoot differently at 400 yards. The drop could be off by 6-8" pretty easily just on bullet weight alone.

I have experience with the following and would recommend any of them... Of the last dozen or so rifles I've bought only one was brand new. I don't mind used rifles and the savings will usually net me a new scope.

On a budget, I'd look for a gently used Remington Mountain rifle or similar variation. I don't think you can get one in 300WM, but you can in various other calibers including short mags I believe. You can usually pick them up for about $600-650 if you shop and are patient. I've had 3 and still got two, both in 280Rem, all have been flat out shooters. Scoped and loaded they're about 7lbs 12-14oz +/-.

Another option is the Ruger Ultralight. I've have had 2 of these, and my brother had one, they shoot pretty well, but are not my favorite rifle to sight in. The short barrel and small butted stock make shooting from the bench an unpleasant experience. Really nice to pack in the woods, super handy in the brush due to the short barrel. I think calibers are a bit limited, but they may chamber them in short mags now? I've not looked in a while. Both of mine were 270s. Killed a bunch of elk/deer with them, and still have one of them. The last one I bought "used" for $400, but it was brand new, had less than 10 rounds through it. Pretty nice rifle for the money if you like Rugers.

A Remington Model 7 is also an alternative. You can pick these up in short mags as well as standard short action cartridges. Only have had experience with one of them. Nice little rifles and usually can be had for $600ish. Light and short, really nice for packing. Almost bought one of these instead of a Kimber. The weight difference isn't much and they're about $400 cheaper. It was a tough choice.

Winchester doesn't really make anything "light". Their featherweights are about the same weight as most sporter rifles made by Remington and others. The balance and feel is one of the best IMO. I've got a few in the closet and hunt them from time to time. All are decent shooters. I think you can get a 300WM in a featherweight. The stainless/wood featherweights are one of the prettiest rifles made.

The only experience I've had with Tika is a 22-250 rifle my brother had. It was a "ranch" gun and got abused. Nice rifle for the money, but he only had it for about 2 years and hated it the entire time... I didn't mind it. He was spoiled on Sakos so he traded in on one. I've not heard any negatives about Tikas and seems that most that have them really like them. They wouldn't be my first choice. Don't care for the look or the action. They remind me of the old Remington 788... ugly but very functional.

Name a rifle manufacture that doesn't have issues... Seems so many jump on the hater wagon with Kimber because they paid more for the weapon so expect it to some how be perfect?

Bambi,

My issue with Kimber is not that the rifle failed, it is that Kimber damaged the rifle trying to fix the issues and refused to fix it properly. That is the really short version. I know every manufacturer has lemons from time to time. The difference for me is how a company handles the issues.

On another note

That being said, I also have experience with a Tikka in .22-250. It is accurate, but the stocks are not comfortable for me. There are folks who make aftermarket stocks for Tikka T-3. You can check these guys out.
http://www.tikkashooters.com/
I know the owners, they are both passionate about their T-3's and getting quality parts for them. They have a couple dozen aftermarket stocks available for them. My guess is that the aftermarket stocks will be a bit heavier than the original, but will be far more comfortable to shoot.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=250037&highlight=winter+project

Example of a Tikka 7mm Rem with an aftermarket stock on it. This is a B&C Medalist. I have looked for replacement bottom metal and magazine, but haven't found anything made for a hunting rifle. I replaced the scope with a 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest w/rapid-z reticle, I found on clearance at Promotive.com. The rings are Talley Lightweights. While out in WY this fall I put a 140grn trophy bonded tip on a 10 inch rock at 473, held for 420 with the steep downhill. Hit 2" out from dead center, at 2 o'clock. Granted this was out of the prone with a bipod.

If you are leaning towards a Tikka don't worry about cartridge length, as the T3 only comes in long action.

T Bone;

Where I know I need to improve is with my range finder, spotting scope, and binos. I am partial to Leopold due to the fact that my father gets a pretty hefty discount on one of their products each year for being a hunters safety instructor. How do yall fell Leopold's products measure up incomparrison to the big three Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss. Am I really missing out on much quality of product and crispness of view...? Also any other suggestions on where and what I can do to further refine my gear system?

I'd seriously consider sticking with the Mossberg and put the money on glass. Leupold's Gold Ring binos are good. I don't think they have current production Gold Ring binos though.

I don't care for any of Leupold's Green Ring stuff.

Are the Gold Ring binos as good as Swaro's? No. Buy the best you can afford.

If your Mossberg shoots, use it.

I have had a Remington Titanium rifle for quite a few years. Lightweights tend to be finnicky and magnify poor shooting form.
I recently sold it for much more than I paid for it and bought 10x50 Swaro's. My go to rifle is now an out of the box standard weight Winchester. Wish I'd of spent the $ on glass and less on rifles long ago.

Last edited:
And if you feel like you need to scratch the new rifle itch, I'd choose a Ruger American in 270.

A 270 win with 130 grainers has near identical ballistics as a 300 win with 180's.

Rifles and calibers are like arguing politics. You won't change somebody's mind. But we love to debate anyway! Best to find what fits you. Best advice I got was don't buy what you can afford buy what you want or you will never be happy! " within reason"

+1 on the Kimber Montana. I have one, it's my main hunting rifle. Mine is the .300 WSM. I really like it. Does great on everything from elk to antelope. Reliable, light, and very accurate. My buddy has a Montana in 7mm and his gun shoots great as well. I know that others have had issues with them, but I'm happy with mine. I bought mine from another guy I knew who'd had it for a while, and knew I'd be getting a rifle with no issues. After going hunting this weekend with guys who shoot other guns, I can't believe how heavy their rifles were. It would take a lot to put me off the Montana at this point.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back