Pack Frames

TheTone

I know some of you guys are serious backpack hunters and I'd like to become one in the future. The first thing I need is a good pack frame. What kind is everyone using? I'm strongly considering a Bull Pac as they are made locally, my father knows the company owner, and when i looked at one it seemed indestructable. Anyone have any recomendations?

Do you plan on packing in and spike camping or bivy hunting where you hunt with everything in the pack?

Tone, I hope bull pacs are indestructable. I bought one for my upcoming moose hunt in AK. That's 4 weeks away, so I'll have some reviews on how it performed in about 6 weeks. I does seem like a real solid piece of equipment.

More than likely it would be spike camping at first and if I like that and want more adventure then maybe move towards bivy hunting. I just see it being easier to hunt from a spike camp than hunting around all day with camp on my back.

nmtaxi, great, looking forward to hearing about your hunt. I've tried one on at a sports show that was loaded heavier than I thought I could carry and it seemed like a comfy load. Best of luck on the moose hunt. I think I might be making a similar trip in a couple years.

For spike camping I'd go with a good welded aluminum frame pack. For 15 years I used one pack made by Camp Trails. It worked great and they stand behind the lifetime warranty when I bent the frame.

I found a Barneys Carnivour Frame, have any of you owned or used one? I read good things about them on one of the Alaska boards. Kind of expensive, but if it is the last one I ever buy it would be worth it.

Try Kifaru

Check out Kifaru packs at www.kifaru.net. I love mine and they are great for hauling meat and camp. They are just fine for daypacking also because of the great fit.

Camp + an elk quarter on a Siwash
214853.jpg

An entire antelope loaded
214846.jpg

OK...I'm looking into this also...but I'm more of a bivy hunter, and use my pack for everything...shed hunting to big game hunting.....

What's the pros/cons of external frame versus internal frame ??

For me, packing volume is not a concern, but comfort and function are.......I'd be using mine more for hauling things out, then hauling them in....example, I would not be hauling camp gear in, but hope to be hauling game or a ton of sheds out........

I was looking at some stuff in the Kelty line........what were your guys' thoughts ??

Frame pack

There are some very fine packs out there and I have used many of them in over four decades of serious backpacking, both internal and external types.

For hauling awkward, oddly shaped loads for short to medium distances, such as sheds, chainsaws and axes with gascans, firepumps, bone-in Elk, Moose quarters and Deer halves, a really good frame pack is the most useful, although not quite as comfy as a top internal pack. The Bullpac that I have is absolutely the finest I have ever owned and used, I have broken two of the five top model CampTrails frames I have owned, seen B.C. Parks Kelty's bend and had a Fjallraven that was good, but, not anywhere close to a Bullpac. Buy it.

For internals, for actual backpack hunting, I would and do pick Mysteryranch and Kifaru packs; I also will buy Ostrom packs from Canada, the Gregory Pro series and J.J. McHale from Seattle. This is based on owning them myself (most) or seeing friends packs in action on hunts. Good gear costs, but, it is usually a one time investment. Hope this opinion is helpful to you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back