PA Spring Turkey

dels322

Hey all,

Looking for some information on spring turkey hunting in PA. My family an I have a camping trip planned for may of the coming spring in bucks county PA. As an out of stater(NY) I was looking for some guidance on turkey hunting in PA and navigating the regulations. Namely do I only need a special turkey tag if i intend on taking a 2nd turkey? Do I need any other permits for hunting on State game lands. Should be in the area of State Game land 56 if anyone has some tips. TIA

Welcome from a former New Yorker who lives in PA now, I live about 20 minutes from where you're looking at hunting and I've hunted small game in 56 before. I would say plan for it to be crowded during turkey season, maybe less so if you come after opening week and are hunting during weekdays, I know those game lands get packed during deer season. No special permit for hunting state game lands, you'll just need a PA big game license which comes with 1 spring turkey tag. If you want to purchase the extra tag be aware you have to buy it before the season opens. Any other questions let me know if I can help. Oh, make sure you have the plug in your shotgun, 3 shells max when turkey hunting in PA, like waterfowl hunting.

It’s been my experience that if you buy the special 2nd gobbler tag you won’t fill either of them. Also PA only lets you hunt until noon during the first part of the season. I’m not sure when the date is where you are then allowed to hunt all day but it is later in the season. I’m not familiar with the game lands in Bucks county, but the counties surrounding the philly area usually have a lot of hunters.

I'll second what JFish said about buying the second tag, years that I've bought one I've struggled to get one bird, much less worry about two. First two weeks of the season hunting hours are until noon, after that it's all day. Don't forget we still can't hunt Sundays here either.

I'll second what JFish said about buying the second tag, years that I've bought one I've struggled to get one bird, much less worry about two. First two weeks of the season hunting hours are until noon, after that it's all day. Don't forget we still can't hunt Sundays here either.

We were looking mid May Thursday to Monday trip , was hoping to squeeze this in. Scout 56 a bit in the afternoon on Thursday see if I can put em to roost then try to get on em Friday morning.

As we finalize the date I’ll keep you posted, maybe we pull off a twofer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back