PA archery buck

dwm4375

I was in my stand Saturday reading this forum on my phone. I'd been out about 45 minutes, and it was still about 20-30 minutes until I expected the deer to come out for the evening. The stand is in a large maple at the edge of a picked cornfield, with a couple old apple trees around. I had just put the phone away, and a minute later I saw this buck:

I stood up, and he paused for a couple minutes before taking a few more steps and presenting an open shot. He fell within sight, and I walked back to my house to get my wife and son. My little boy watched me field dress the buck and posed for some pictures:

This is my 3rd archery buck in the past 4 years, and my 6th overall. It's also my 8th buck in 8 years since moving home after the military. There are some much bigger bucks on my farm and nearby, but I'm not passing legal bucks with a young kid at home (and another boy on the way). This was only my 3rd time out this year, so I'm lucky to have my buck tag filled.

I did get the chance to hunt out west earlier this fall. I got a little antelope buck, and got to hunt elk for a few days in CO's 1st rifle season.

A great fall so far, and a couple doe tags still to go.

Dan

Well done, great to see the young'un getting in on it. And that's no "little" antelope buck, looks pretty nice! Congrats on both!

Adding a pic of last year's (rifle season) buck.

First of all, that little boy has sure grown a lot in the past year. Second, the buck has forked G-2's on both sides. I call it my "mule deer" buck. It's the only buck I've ever shot with a forked point, and it has them on both sides.

Thanks Muskeez - it was my first antelope, and I was certainly happy with it. I shot it early in the time I had allotted for antelope, so that let me drive up to the trailhead where I was to begin my elk hunt. An extra 3 days of camping and hiking at altitude was nice to acclimate and get to know my way around.

Dan

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back