Caribou Gear

Outfitters COVID issues for ‘21-‘22 season

ILbowhntr

Hey everyone,

I have contracted with a guide/outfitter for NM 2nd season archery. I was lucky enough to draw and have zero experience hunting in NM.

During a call with my outfitter last week he mentioned that they were really challenged with COVID problems with the Forest Service (permit delays), clients concerned with masking requirements (pro and con) and making camp “compliant” with other requirements, not to mention some locally elevated infection rates.

I am curious to he’s probably what others who have booked with outfitters (or outfitters themselves) are saying and seeing. Please share, especially if you are planning for a northern NM unit this season.

I told my outfitter that I really didn’t require his camp, food, shower, etc. and that I really just wanted the guiding services to increase my odds on such a short season (10 days). I am planning to be prepared to be 100% self sufficient as a result of this discussion. Curious to hear what others are doing, if anything.

Thanks.

#1 priority is get a 2-shot vaccine before you leave for your trip.
New Mexico is what it is, and that card may smooth many obstacles out.

Most of my hunts this year I'm just making sure I've got food and water and shelter in case I can't get it where I end up. Also consider what might happen if your outfitter can't fulfill his end of the bargain due to sick guides or not being able to operate in the area you're interested in, etc.

Most of my hunts this year I'm just making sure I've got food and water and shelter in case I can't get it where I end up. Also consider what might happen if your outfitter can't fulfill his end of the bargain due to sick guides or not being able to operate in the area you're interested in, etc.
I really don’t have any experience using an outfitter for a guided hunt. I’ve always done DIY public land hunts (With the exception of hogs in TX). I’m prepared to go it alone if need be. I’ve done a lot of pouring over maps the last few months. I have a couple dozen waypoints marked on my onx maps.

This outfitter has been in business for many years and I’ve found some good reviews. But I also believe most outfitters are first about their business and the hunters experience Comes in second….sometimes a distant second.

I’m wondering if other folks here are also hearing about these concerns from outfitters (which maybe a bit reassuring) or is this just someone looking to soften me up for bad news he wants to drop after I arrive and I’m out of all other options.

I may be overthinking because it’s not a small sum of money. But, just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they are not out to get you…😳😁

Back