Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Outfitter Refunds??

Auburnpack

My hunting partner and I applied for New Mexico Elk in the Outfitter draw. We made a small refundable (if not drawn) deposit and didn't draw. For those of you that have applied in the outfitter pool and made a deposit, how long did it take for the outfitter to return your deposit? We still haven't received out deposit and have reached out to the outfitter 3 times.

Thank you,

Didn't draw in KS this year and my outfitter pretty quickly returned my payment. I had him keep 50% as deposit for next year which will help him out and he will hold my hunt price the same.

Covid shut down our Canada fishing trip, and the outfitter up there pretty quickly returned the deposit.

We may end up losing a few $ each but I will do my best to make sure others don't. I am not throwing anyone under the bus just yet but I will let everyone know who not to deal with before next application season if we don't receive our refunds.

I have actually applied for draw hunts under a couple different outfitters (New Mexico and Alaska) and neither required any up front deposit. Just a signed contract that if I did draw I would have to use them and at that point I would need to make a deposit.

I have actually applied for draw hunts under a couple different outfitters (New Mexico and Alaska) and neither required any up front deposit. Just a signed contract that if I did draw I would have to use them and at that point I would need to make a deposit.
Do you mind sharing which NM outfitter you use? PM if you wish. Thanks.

I have been trying for two years to get back a 300 dollar deposit from a New Mexico Outfitter. Just found out about how to file with the state to get help.

yes,please follow up with us hunt talkers if they dont give you a refund back,,"we will surely avoid them at that point""bad for business",,,as well what outfitter did you use shale?? we need there name too.

I ended up only using one of the NM outfitters that was completely free to use their outfitter number – no deposit.

As I noticed red flags with several of the outfitters that had $250-$500 deposits to use their outfitter number. Only upon questioning, would I be told that the refund does NOT automatically come back to you. It just rolls over to next year and you just keep applying with them annually. And when I reviewed the contract language, the deposit was never referred to as refundable in any way. It was simply a deposit towards a hunt that the contract assumed eventually would happen some day (if/when I drew).

It was never specifically referred to as non-refundable either - and I think the ambiguity works in their favor. If you ask for it back, you are the one walking away (in contract breach), not them as they will be willing to let you apply again every year. I think a fair number of those NM outfitters will do exactly what the two hunters above have experienced here. Public shaming is about all you can do at this point as even small claims court isn’t a realistic solution for an NR.

If the outfitter dissolves his business (LLC or whatever) and retires (or just moves along) you are an unsecured creditor as to that deposit money. I think anyone who gets involved with one of these situations should just consider that deposit non-refundable.

Wonder how the hunters that paid a 50% deposit with Jim Shocky ever made out. He was taking the position that they should be willing to donate their "discretionary income" to him so he could maintain his complete operation with out returning anything or carrying it forward or maintaining his prices for the coming year.

Back